First Busses Tap On Tap Off

11 minutes ago, WarPig said:

Thanks, that makes sense.

For an adult a single fare is £2, so I guess if I don't tap off then I'll just be charged £2 anyway, but then it wont cap at the daily ticket amount?

Correct - each journey will cost £2.00.

1 hour ago, rogets said:

What happens if you tap on, and then when you leave the bus you have lost your bank card?

Its happened to me everyday this week

You have to live the rest of your life on the bus, picking chewing gum off from under the seats.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, WarPig said:

I don't catch busses often but today I got on one of the new Tap On Tap Off busses, where you tap your bank card when boarding, then again when alighting the bus and it automatically calculates and charges the correct fare. Seems a good system. similar to London Underground.

But what happens when catching multiple busses in a day? I know the total daily fare is capped at the price of a day ticket (£5.20?) but if one of those busses isn't a Tap On/Off bus then you'd surely end up paying more as that fare wouldn't count towards the capped daily fare?

Also what happens if you don't tap off? Does it just charge you £2 single fare? Does that still count towards the multiple capped fare journeys?

I can explain TOTO for you & I can tell you that you have it mostly right. TOTO is also on buses in London too as they're cashless & Oyster is pretty much dead these days. 

So TOTO is fitted to all First buses in South Yorkshire & only works on First buses.
There are a few vehicles that don't currently have the Tap Off reader fitted and a couple have become faulty. Those are being dealt with ASAP (They aren't cheap or easy to fit. They also have to be certified for security).

On those vehicles the ticket machine by the driver serves as both tap on and tap off. 

So tapping on/off costs you £2 (unless you've travelled a very short distance, which the £1.50 fare is valid) on each bus. So 1 bus = £2, 2 buses = £4, 3 buses = £6 and so on. 
However once you reach the threshold of a FirstDaySaver (Sheff £5.20, Roth/Donc £5.40, SYorks £6.40) then the TOTO system caps your charges at that rate. 
So if you only travel in and around the Sheffield fare zone and catch 3 buses you will be charged £5.20 for that day. 

TOTO doesn't stop at FirstDaySavers though, it works for FirstWeek savers too, in the same sort of way. 

So if you travel, using TOTO throughout the week (Sun-Sat) and you cross the threshold of a FirstWeek saver (Sheff £17.90, Roth/Donc £19.30)

If you don't tap off the system will charge you the maximum fare for that journey. Now currently pretty much every journey is £2 so it's not a big deal due to the fare cap, which is one of the reasons First introduced TOTO now, to get passengers used to the system without being charged more than £2. 

As of yet I've been unable to ascertain if journeys that haven't been tapped off still count towards the running total. If I get a response from my query or find out another way then I will update. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

TOTO seems to be getting a good reception on here, doesn't anyone else (like me) think it's the Thin End of the CBDC Wedge? Does the driver still except cash?

When did this TOTO come in?  This is the first time I've heard of it. (I don't use my Bus pass very often.)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, aardvark6535 said:

TOTO seems to be getting a good reception on here, doesn't anyone else (like me) think it's the Thin End of the CBDC Wedge? Does the driver still except cash?

When did this TOTO come in?  This is the first time I've heard of it. (I don't use my Bus pass very often.)

Ignoring your 'conspiracy theory'😉 , the driver does still accept cash,  I don't recall off-hand when it was enabled - sometime in the second half of last year , I think, and if you have an ENCTS pass, it doesn't apply - you just tap on, and the bus operator is paid the flat fee from the ENCTS scheme - no need  to tap off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aardvark6535 said:

Testing lauch was Nov 2023. Drivers started actively encouraging it's use from January 2024

Cash is still accepted on-board, for now, however if Coppard gets his way South Yorks will move to the cashless TfL model. 

Personally I think going cashless on buses is a good thing. In recent years there's been an increase (though we don't hear about it) in attacks on drivers for their cash. There was even a driver stabbed in broad daylight on Arundel Gate a couple of years ago.

• Like 1