Championship Play Off Final 2016

Well, what can you say about a poor performance at Wembley? It seems the Sheffield way of late.

Hull could and should have won by 3/4 goals. Westwood as good as ever and apart from Wallace, the only one seemingly up for the challenge and willing to fight.

It says everything that the first real opportunity you had came in the dying seconds of injury time.

I feel for the fans who were a credit to their team. It just shows that no matter how vocal you can be, the players don't always respond.

Carlos has been shown to be tactically naive in the big games this year, only providing 1 good performance at home against Brighton. But the tactics employed in the second leg nearly cost you the final place, as Brighton could and should have easily took advantage of a team looking to cling on to their lead for 90 minutes.

Throughout the season, the results and performances against teams in the top 6 have not been good enough and eventually it has been your downfall.

If they showed as much positivity in the big games that they have against some of the easier teams, then who knows what may have happened on Saturday.

Nuhiu is not an answer to a question any Owl wants to ask (unless it is who should we get rid of first in the summer), as a side point.

I think you'll be around the top 6 again next year, but with a strong Norwich and Newcastle team. A villa team, that if they picked the right manager, could be a force too. I don't see much hope for promotion again.

Good luck though guys, as the fans deserve better than the end of season they have been provided with.

Well, what can you say about a poor performance at Wembley? It seems the Sheffield way of late.

Hull could and should have won by 3/4 goals. Westwood as good as ever and apart from Wallace, the only one seemingly up for the challenge and willing to fight.

It says everything that the first real opportunity you had came in the dying seconds of injury time.

I feel for the fans who were a credit to their team. It just shows that no matter how vocal you can be, the players don't always respond.

Carlos has been shown to be tactically naive in the big games this year, only providing 1 good performance at home against Brighton. But the tactics employed in the second leg nearly cost you the final place, as Brighton could and should have easily took advantage of a team looking to cling on to their lead for 90 minutes.

Throughout the season, the results and performances against teams in the top 6 have not been good enough and eventually it has been your downfall.

If they showed as much positivity in the big games that they have against some of the easier teams, then who knows what may have happened on Saturday.

Nuhiu is not an answer to a question any Owl wants to ask (unless it is who should we get rid of first in the summer), as a side point.

I think you'll be around the top 6 again next year, but with a strong Norwich and Newcastle team. A villa team, that if they picked the right manager, could be a force too. I don't see much hope for promotion again.

Good luck though guys, as the fans deserve better than the end of season they have been provided with.

Good attempt but doesn't really wash.

Our performances against a top 6 who Brighton apart have had a few seasons of preperation to get where they are and had spent more money were reasonable, two early season defeats by Boro and Burnley a defeat to 'Boro with a second string side and the rest were very worthy draws. We managed in many other "big games" ie Arsenal, Cardiff etc.

Brighton were bound to throw everything at us in the 2nd leg as Derby did at Hull but we weathered the storm and they ran out of steam, the tactics worked.

This started out as a transition season and we achieved more than expected, obviously the performace and result on Saturday was disappointing but I've not seen one downbeat Owl since, this is a building programme it didn't happen in one season but it will happen.

I wouldn't be too sure that the ones coming down from the Prem will automatically walk it either, football doesn't work like that.

As for the fans deserving better, what you saw on Saturday has built up over a number of months, with the much improved performances the fans have really backed the team particularly in the last few weeks, one abject performance doesnt alter the fact or take away the feelgood factor which is a result of a sea change at the club under the new owner/manager.

The re-build only started this season and will now continue.

You're a good Blade nikki and genuine too along with Longy ,

can't say the same for all the other childish " so called Blades" on here, cheers.:)

To be fair Southey, both teams have their fair share of these...

To be fair Southey, both teams have their fair share of these...

They do, it almost seems like some people feel it's more important to hate the other team than it is to support their own.

Edited by nikki-red

They do, it almost seems like some people feel it's more important to hate the other team than it is to support their own.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I don't think the Owls fans need to be too down hearted, you had a good day out, performance wasn't there at the end of the day but at least you have fond memories of what could have been. You were in touching distance.

Just out of interest... what's the percentage of clubs getting promoted the following season, if they lost in the play off final the previous season?

I don't think the Owls fans need to be too down hearted, you had a good day out, performance wasn't there at the end of the day but at least you have fond memories of what could have been. You were in touching distance.

Just out of interest... what's the percentage of clubs getting promoted the following season, if they lost in the play off final the previous season?

Leicester and 'Boro have done it recently, not sure about others off the top of my head.

You can throw what you want at trying to achieve promotion however it doesn't guarantee it does it? In football nothing is "most likely" and to think that a failed shot at the play-offs this year tees you up to go one step better next season is comical to say the least!....Also with Newcastle, Aston Villa and Norwich dropping down into the league it is going to be a damn sight tougher than this season that is for sure!

The difference is money and the will to be promoted.

New owners, through their actions already in season one, have shown the intention. None of us saw this coming at all, let alone so quickly.

I think SW are being revolutionised by owners that even the media confirm have delivered on exactly what they have said.

It may be the last thing SU wish to be reminded of but the 2 teams have never been further apart in 15 years and the future looks great for SW. The financial base is the most important thing and we have it.

Seasons in the top half would be welcome and top six, competing in the play-offs is wonderful. Sure there's disappointment, there is in dropping 3 points as there can be in gaining one, but that is football.

What few of us can claim, especially SU, is a stable club, a long term manager who everyone is behind, exciting football, quality players and a chance of being promoted.

SW is in a good place. So too are Barnsley. But that's about it round here as the rest of you are stranded in the footballing dolldrums and the only wind is the hot air you spout.

SW will strengthen for next season.

As for a failed Newcastle; I can't imagine for a minute Benitez delivering in the Champonship. McCarthy, Coyle, Pearson for sure but not a guy used to managing the creme de la creme. Tha's why he failed at Newcastle.

Norwich are mid table at best and Villa may be relegated again.

Derby have to start afresh with Pearson. Brighton looked gutted and I think it'll take a new manager and complete about face to lift the Club. Cardiff, Ipswich, Reading offer little threat.

Different from last season I can see SW being top six all season and clearly the team to beat. Defensively we're sound. Even in the final Hull only managed one wonder goal and that's what it took.

No. The future looks bright. The future looks blue and white.

I would agree that Hull were the better team on the day and the score could have been worse if Westwood hadnt been on top form....

But how you can call CC tactically naive ?....we have beaten Newcastle & Arsenal this season....finished in the top six and got within 90 minutes of reaching the Premier League...he's done better than any other Wednesday manager in over 20 years....

As for Nuhiu and next season ....lets see what happens over the summer..

and yes im disappointed we will be up against Barnsley,Rotherham & Burton Albion next season rather than Chelsea,Manchester United et al....but the basis is there for another good go next season...

Never realised you were such an expert on all things Wednesday ..

Leicester and 'Boro have done it recently, not sure about others off the top of my head.

I tell you what doesn't it open doors to other clubs now that Leicester has done it... wonder if its a case of the 4 minuet mile record breaker - one does it, they others do it!

---------- Post added 31-05-2016 at 10:31 ----------

I would agree that Hull were the better team on the day and the score could have been worse if Westwood hadnt been on top form....

But how you can call CC tactically naive ?....we have beaten Newcastle & Arsenal this season....finished in the top six and got within 90 minutes of reaching the Premier League...he's done better than any other Wednesday manager in over 20 years....

and yes im disappointed we will be up against Barnsley,Rotherham & Burton Albion next season rather than Chelsea,Manchester United et al....but the basis is there for another good go next season...

Never realised you were such an expert on all things Wednesday ..

Joking aside, I think he'd do a job for us next season. We need a little height.

Guest sibon

Carlos is an excellent manager. Anyone who has seen his variety of selections and playing styles would know that. He's usually spot on with his subs too.

His big problem towards the end of the season was Bannan and Lee. They had played roughly a billon games between them and looked really rather jaded. We are far too lightweight in midfield. This, and Nuihu are the big areas to focus on pre-season. I expect to see two or three more quality midfielders brought in, along with a striker.