Boring Whisky, £39

I like whisky, and let's be clear we're talking about single malt here (blended is a lot cheaper so there are lower expectations, and nowt wrong with it). Tons of variety, depth of taste, gets you Rowley Birkin drunk. But, I would argue, there is a lot of single malt that, though relatively expensive, is actually quite boring. Three examples being Glen  Scotia (RRP £39), Glenlivet 12 (£33.99) and Cardhu Gold Reserve (£45). Is this a 'me problem' or is some whisky badly overpriced given how uninteresting it is?

6 hours ago, Delbow said:

I like whisky, and let's be clear we're talking about single malt here (blended is a lot cheaper so there are lower expectations, and nowt wrong with it). Tons of variety, depth of taste, gets you Rowley Birkin drunk. But, I would argue, there is a lot of single malt that, though relatively expensive, is actually quite boring. Three examples being Glen  Scotia (RRP £39), Glenlivet 12 (£33.99) and Cardhu Gold Reserve (£45). Is this a 'me problem' or is some whisky badly overpriced given how uninteresting it is?

Try monkey shoulder 😋 Aldi .

When I watch folk drink whiskey it looks lovely and I would really like to enjoy it but it makes me wanna heave. I've tried it so many times as my step father used to have some lovely malts but unless I slam it down like a shot, I just can't drink it and that's just a waste.

• Like 2

I'm the same with wine,  when they pour it & it's glugging into the glass I think I really want some,  but  then it's actually hard to get down.          I wouldn't give you tuppence a bucket for whiskey,   how people can drink that, especially neat,  is beyond me.         I'd rather have a burdock.

24 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

When I watch folk drink whiskey it looks lovely and I would really like to enjoy it but it makes me wanna heave. I've tried it so many times as my step father used to have some lovely malts but unless I slam it down like a shot, I just can't drink it and that's just a waste.

As they say, there's a whisky / whiskey out there for everyone. 

Never just knock it back, that's a waste for starters.  Enjoy the smell of if before taking a sip & NEVER add ice, it just kills the taste.  Just add a drop of spring water (not fizzy). 

If you're trying to get into drinking it, start with a blend. I'd go for the original Jameson's Irish whiskey.  Cheap & still good. 

I've got my old favourites from over the years. 

Tamdhu (Scot) 

Caol Ila (Scot, Islay) 

And for Irish whiskey's

Red Breast

Green Spot. 

Actually I associate whisky with the winter months, Oct to March.  Now's the time of year to start drinking iced rum. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

As they say, there's a whisky / whiskey out there for everyone. 

Never just knock it back, that's a waste for starters.  Enjoy the smell of if before taking a sip & NEVER add ice, it just kills the taste.  Just add a drop of spring water (not fizzy). 

If you're trying to get into drinking it, start with a blend. I'd go for the original Jameson's Irish whiskey.  Cheap & still good. 

I've got my old favourites from over the years. 

Tamdhu (Scot) 

Caol Ila (Scot, Islay) 

And for Irish whiskey's

Red Breast

Green Spot. 

Actually I associate whisky with the winter months, Oct to March.  Now's the time of year to start drinking iced rum. 

Iced Rum?

Dark or Bacardi?

At Christmas a relative had the job of sending out food hampers from Harrods Department Store.  Couldn’t believe it when she said a bottle of whiskey cost £300 that went in some of the food hampers, how can you justify the price? I don’t drink whiskey, is it something to do with the age of the whisky that alters the taste and price.

3 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

At Christmas a relative had the job of sending out food hampers from Harrods Department Store.  Couldn’t believe it when she said a bottle of whiskey cost £300 that went in some of the food hampers, how can you justify the price? I don’t drink whiskey, is it something to do with the age of the whisky that alters the taste and price.

Depends what it is & how old / rare it is? Some sell for tens of thousands.