Boring Whisky, £39

Back when I was still drinking I used to like Talisker whiskey part of the profits went to the upkeep of Lifeboats. Rum wise my favourite was  Pussers navy rum quite liked it. An cheap whiskey that was ok was produced by Netto can't recall it's name but I think Highland was parts of its name on the label it had a bagpipe player on it. 

Old Pulteney is pretty decent in that kinda price range.

I can't stand Whiskey though, so all I have to go off is feedback from others I've bought it for.

1 hour ago, GabrielC said:

Back when I was still drinking I used to like Talisker whiskey part of the profits went to the upkeep of Lifeboats. Rum wise my favourite was  Pussers navy rum quite liked it. An cheap whiskey that was ok was produced by Netto can't recall it's name but I think Highland was parts of its name on the label it had a bagpipe player on it. 

Talisker is very good, I'll always get that when it's on offer in Tesco or Waitrose, which it often is. It has a lot more going on than the three I mentioned in my opening post. I get that some people want a smoother drink, which is presumably what your Glen Scotias are aimed at, but you could get a good Armagnac for less.

9 hours ago, Delbow said:

I like whisky, and let's be clear we're talking about single malt here (blended is a lot cheaper so there are lower expectations, and nowt wrong with it). Tons of variety, depth of taste, gets you Rowley Birkin drunk. But, I would argue, there is a lot of single malt that, though relatively expensive, is actually quite boring. Three examples being Glen  Scotia (RRP £39), Glenlivet 12 (£33.99) and Cardhu Gold Reserve (£45). Is this a 'me problem' or is some whisky badly overpriced given how uninteresting it is?

I think you're just arguing from the position of your personal preference.

All whisky doesn't need to be as strong tasting as Laphroaig any more than all curry needs to be as hot as a vindaloo.

5 hours ago, altus said:

I think you're just arguing from the position of your personal preference.

All whisky doesn't need to be as strong tasting as Laphroaig any more than all curry needs to be as hot as a vindaloo.

It's true I do like strong flavours. With cheese for example, a ripe old Stilton is near the top of my list, but I do also enjoy much milder cheeses like Jarlsberg and Edam, I just don't see them as premium products.

I like Laphroaig, lovely peaty taste.

I've tried many different whiskys but I always find myself going back to Ardbeg as my tipple of choice, superb stuff.

I am amazed by the breadth of flavours of whiskey (and other spirits).

I think a lot of people‘s first and often only encounter with Whiskey is some cheap mass produced effort that burns the mouth and throat.

But if you delve into it (and, possibly, pay a bit more) there are lots of flavours and tastes to various whiskeys.

Same with Rum — you can have a cheap navy-style drink that tastes almost medicinal, or for a little extra there are so many flavoursome and complex rums out there.

23 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

I am amazed by the breadth of flavours of whiskey (and other spirits).

I think a lot of people‘s first and often only encounter with Whiskey is some cheap mass produced effort that burns the mouth and throat.

But if you delve into it (and, possibly, pay a bit more) there are lots of flavours and tastes to various whiskeys.

Same with Rum — you can have a cheap navy-style drink that tastes almost medicinal, or for a little extra there are so many flavoursome and complex rums out there.

The same is true of gin for instance; most of what we see here, since the recent popularity increase, is designed to go with mixers. I plead guilty, as we probably have the best part of a dozen different ones here at home. 😊
On the other hand, try some Jenever (Genever) Dutch/Belgian gin, particularly the Oude style, to be drunk neat; it's every bit at complex  as a good tasting rum or whisky (or wiskey for that matter).
Similarly Ouzo, where we normally only see No12, or maybe Lidl's  Korifeos; head for the Greek mainland, and there are wonders to behold; Mini or Sans Paraille are amongst my favourites.
Speaking of Lidl, they currently have a Greek week, where along side their Ouzo, they are offering Cretan Raki; in my opinion far better than their ouzo variety.

Labelled as Tsikoudia, it's not aniseed flavoured like ouzo or Turkish raki and has quite a different flavour; this one is distilled from grape must, like eau de vie, though there is a honey variety available on the island.
In Crete, it normally comes in used water bottles on the local market, made by someone's granddad, but the Lidl version isn't too bad.

This was taken at a Tsicoudia festival whilst we were there a few years ago
image.png.eb8140a126ebfe3e638ab2ff14e676e5.png

• Like 1