2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

It's always this time of year that I'm grateful that my birthday is just before Christmas and my parents insisted I had driving lessons from my 17th birthday onwards. Most of the first month or two of lessons were on snow and ice. It's really given me great skills that not everyone would have had when learning to drive.

Nowadays, of course, the incidence of snow/ice is so reduced that many do not have the opportunity to develop your skills.

I've just fitted a set of wind tyres to my car, they are fantastic and help stability in blustery conditions. I shall have them swapped over in February for my winter set, and then in April for my spring set which cope with the April showers admirably ... then of course back to the summer tyres in May which cope brilliantly with temperatures up to 65c.

Certain amount of b*llsh*t with all this and many are falling for it.

Just nipping out now to put the 'snow wipers' on just in case we have a blizzard tomorrow.

...then of course back to the summer tyres in May which cope brilliantly with temperatures up to 65c...

65c [?C] - flippin heck you are optimistic!

65c [?C] - flippin heck you are optimistic!

Actually I think that 65C would be slightly too hot many.

As all of you would probably know we had snowfall on boxing day, I went out the following morning to collect some grit when i noticed the nearest grit box had gone. How come they have been taken away as i have noticed others complaining about it, who do i ask for a closer grit box? many thanks!

As all of you would probably know we had snowfall on boxing day, I went out the following morning to collect some grit when i noticed the nearest grit box had gone. How come they have been taken away as i have noticed others complaining about it, who do i ask for a closer grit box? many thanks!

This thread has got a little long, but as I said earlier:

SCC on-line "Report and Request" form:

https://service.sheffield.gov.uk/selfservice/L1_Portal.html?formname=SSComplaints

(I know the link says complaints in it, but the page opens as a "Report and Request" form).

The website says for Roads it's "Option 1" on the (0114) 27 34567 number, but just follow the options for a Road problem (they might describe as "emergency").

Either 'phone SCC or contact 'em online.

As all of you would probably know we had snowfall on boxing day

...what ! Where ? :D

On a front wheel drive car you shouldn't need winter tyres with the diminutive snowfall we normally have in this country.

That would depend on where you are in the country. Not all parts are the same.

And I know it has been said several times, but "winter tyres are not just for snow".

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 17:33 ----------

According to Radio Sheffield, there has been a petition to the council to reinstate grit bins.

I hope it works.

Edited by Eater Sundae

Just been driving on Barnsley Rd when a childs tent blew across the road and into my car (and left scratches!). Not sure where it came from. It sure is blowing a gale out there at the moment!

A tree was down on Whirlowdale Road earlier and police blocked the road but it is clear now

Just been driving on Barnsley Rd when a childs tent blew across the road and into my car (and left scratches!). Not sure where it came from. It sure is blowing a gale out there at the moment!

Blue bins seem particularly mobile. We've laid ours on its side and wedged it in place to make sure it doesn't do a runner.