2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

Ive just cleared sheets of ice from the front of ours and our neighbours house.

Gritted heavily over bits that wont/wouldnt come up and gritted again where its been cleared to prevent black ice

Ive used my own grit to clear public footpaths - wonder if i can get a rebate for it? [/snarky]

I'm currently still stranded in Batemoor, as there's no grit bin within easy reach, and I've specifically been instructed by the hospital to not even attempt trying to walk on snow and ice, so even though the road is passable (by semi experienced drivers at least, even though as usual the council can't be arsed to actually come and grit the road) I've got no chance of getting to a car to be driven home....

All kinds of fun....

Not sure if this suggestion is helpful - if not feel free to ignore - but buses 43 and 53 are running on Chesterfield Road South from Dronfield and Lowedges; buses 75 and 79/79A are running on Dyche Lane... if you are able to walk round there.

Edited by Andy C

Did they SCC ask for volunteers to clear snow last year, they gave them a name which escapes me at the moment.

snow wardens. There are 3 on our street (Im one). Filled out a form and Amey gave me two snow shovels, a hi viz (long since lost) and a booklet on how to clear snow including warm up exercises. Now I laughed at that at first till I found out how many people have heat attacks clearing snow.

all the side roads in the springs never get gritted...............never , and , people are to idle to go out and clear the bit outside their door and young people never lift a finger these days,ive watched and helped to get our road clear and then last night all the sons and daughters off out in cars thats not done a stoke to help ba humbug

snow wardens. There are 3 on our street (Im one). Filled out a form and Amey gave me two snow shovels, a hi viz (long since lost) and a booklet on how to clear snow including warm up exercises. Now I laughed at that at first till I found out how many people have heat attacks clearing snow.

Heat or heart? Mind you both would apply if you just pitched in and got on with it - I saw some news report about the number of people found dead with a snowshovel and part cleared driveway and it was quite shocking as you say.

Heat or heart? Mind you both would apply if you just pitched in and got on with it - I saw some news report about the number of people found dead with a snowshovel and part cleared driveway and it was quite shocking as you say.

My SP.

Yep my mate in the NHS confirms that. For many people it the first serious upper body exercise they've done all year, then there are undiagnosed high blood pressure problems in people who appear quite fit and add to that the arteries constrict rapidly due to the cold.

The advice is warm up gently before you pitch in.