The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

I doubt it very much.

Why wouldn't they?

---------- Post added 15-10-2018 at 12:29 ----------

I call strawman.

Its a hypothetical question and a matter of opinion.

What do you think? Argue your point, if you have one.

or

Are you trying to pick holes in the progressive thinkers without having to bother to think about a way forward?

It relates exactly to Anna saying that a nuclear deterrernt serves no purpose..If Japan had had one then the question is "would the USA have nuked Hiroshima and Nagasaki?" How is that a strawman?

---------- Post added 15-10-2018 at 12:41 ----------

I doubt it very much.

America was in a race with the Germans who were also attempting to build a nuclear bomb of their own. After the Allies won, the Germans were prevented from having anything to do with nuclear weapons and were also limited in armaments for obvious reasons. They put their money into rebuilding 21st century infrastructure, and into manufacturing, and are now arguably the most successful and powerful country in Europe. And they don't have the bomb.

The UK has had to repay all of it's war debt ...Germany had theirs cut in half by the 1953 London agreement....

Enough to be credible.....

Yes but what is enough? It could be easy to make out that we have many and yet have none, after all is all secret and no one knows. Has anybody seen or verified that Israel have any as they may not have any at all.

It's being reported that the Labour party 2017 manifesto would have cost the country almost a trillion pounds in 10 years. It's from Guido, but someone has taken their manifesto and gone through it line by line and compared it against interviews where the costs were discussed to gather it together.

A trillion pounds

Over ten years, the cost would be:

£486 billion of extra spending

Labour’s own costings document put the cost of their spending plans at an extra £48.6 billion a year

£206.5 billion of additional day-to-day spending not covered by Labour’s costings document, including:

£150 billion to build a million homes which previous Labour policy papers estimated would require £15 billion extra borrowing a year

£27 billion extra on early years childcare which was undercosted in their manifesto

£23 billion on an unfunded mass home insulation progamme

£304.5 billion of one-off capital spending, including

An upfront cost of £176 billion to renationalise the railways, energy supply, water and postal services

A £43 billion commitment to extend HS2 up to Scotland

A combined cost of £40 billion to build both Crossrail 2 and a Crossrail of the North

A £20 billion taxpayer-funded Scottish Investment Bank

Old Jeremy has been quiet lately, what's he been up to?

working out the following to say during the budget speech?

Jeremy Corbyn said whatever Mr Hammond had claimed, "austerity is not over"

People were quick to mock May for her dancing at the conference. So I now proudly bring you Corbyn "flossing"!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/its-mr-bean-jeremy-corbyn-mocked-after-attempting-flossing-dance-craze-at-pride-of-britain-awards-a3975646.html

I knew someone would post that :D

Old Jeremy has been quiet lately, what's he been up to?

People were quick to mock May for her dancing at the conference. So I now proudly bring you Corbyn "flossing"!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/its-mr-bean-jeremy-corbyn-mocked-after-attempting-flossing-dance-craze-at-pride-of-britain-awards-a3975646.html

Well now we know what he's been up to, he's been having dance lessons to compete with Theresa.

Trouble at t' Mill on the Flossing...

I dont think Corbyns was as embarrassing tbh