The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

With the increase in threads about party politics, both local and national, on the forum we have decided that to create a level playing field we will allow one thread for each party to discuss policies. This thread is for discussing the policies of the Labour party.

Our normal rule of not posting links directly to the parties still applies so please respect this rule.

Given that it is the European and local council elections that are coming up, not a general election, why have Labour chosen to announce a policy to increase the minimum wage to match national average earnings? (which I think is a good idea btw)

When considering a suitable PM if Labour is elected, the choice of leader past and present often leaves much to be desired, but aside from that, I don't expect any one single party to represent all my views, they all disappoint in various ways when in government.

Its never a good thing to have the same party in leadership for too long getting complacent, but I continue to value the ideals of the Labour party so they will be getting my vote.

Edited by janie48

Given that it is the European and local council elections that are coming up, not a general election, why have Labour chosen to announce a policy to increase the minimum wage to match national average earnings? (which I think is a good idea btw)

Perhaps because they are a bunch of morons?*

Another 'popular vote winning comment', when it could be disastrous to the labour market, AND people on the dole (which they usually go for with votes).

*I don't think that was exactly what they said, but if you can show it is, then expect chaos if they win

When considering a suitable a PM if Labour is elected, the choice of leader past and present often leaves much to be desired, but aside from that, I don't expect any one single party to represent all my views, they all disappoint in various ways when in government.

Its never a good thing to have the same party in leadership for too long getting complacent, but I continue to value the ideals of the Labour party so they will be getting my vote.

Chuka Amunna I reckon will be their future leader, and perhaps is their best hope to win an election. He ticks more boxes than Ed.

I'm not sure if that would be worrying or not. His ideology is ok like most left-wing politicians, but at the moment he's tagging along with Ed's nonsense, and talking as such.

I prefer realists over ideologists.

I prefer realists over ideologists.

Isn't having a balance of both a better position, or is it essential to be one or the other?

When considering a suitable PM if Labour is elected, the choice of leader past and present often leaves much to be desired, but aside from that, I don't expect any one single party to represent all my views, they all disappoint in various ways when in government.

I struggle to imagine Ed Miliband as Prime Minister and meeting foreign heads of state as our leader. Judging by the opinion polls others agree as he is about as poipular as rabies. It probably doesn't matter at the EU elections or council elections because we aren't electing a PM. But come next May if the parties are close I suspect Red Ed is going to be the deciding factor that keeps Cameron in Downing Street.

Isn't having a balance of both a better position, or is it essential to be one or the other?

I would say that a balance is almost certainly better than the extreme 'one or the other' janie, and from what I've seen of the Shadow Cabinet in the news, or on Question Time, they swing way toward the ideologist.

I struggle to imagine Ed Miliband as Prime Minister and meeting foreign heads of state as our leader. Judging by the opinion polls others agree as he is about as poipular as rabies. It probably doesn't matter at the EU elections or council elections because we aren't electing a PM. But come next May if the parties are close I suspect Red Ed is going to be the deciding factor that keeps Cameron in Downing Street.

Who do you think might be better? (I'm thinking in the current shadow cabinet). I can't think of anyone. (edit, perhaps Hunt would be the best choice, but I think Amunna has a better chance of getting it one day)

I struggle to imagine Ed Miliband as Prime Minister and meeting foreign heads of state as our leader.

Hmmm we said that about Mr No Policies Cameron, we're still saying it even now.

If a chairperson of a political party is elected on charisma, and that seems to be the way of politics rather than actual policies, it would probably be David Milliband

Edited by Mecky

Maybe it's time Labour got rid, it's worth listening to.

Miliband's SECOND car crash interview: Labour leader exposed on local radio for not even knowing who he was campaigning for in Swindon Ed Miliband endured a nightmare day on the campaign trail today after following up a blundering TV interview with a car crash local radio appearance.

The Labour leader was this morning accused of being 'out of touch with reality' after appearing not to have any idea how much he spends on a weekly shop.

He was then left embarrassed on the BBC's Radio Wiltshire when forced to admit he did not know the local Labour leader - even though he was supposed to be campaigning for him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2633986/Milibands-SECOND-car-crash-interview-Labour-leader-exposed-local-radio-not-knowing-campaigning-Swindon.html

The Labour Government promised a referendum on the Lisbon Trearty, but when it became clear that the vote wouldn't go the way they wanted they reneged on the referendum. I would never vote Labour again because they lied to me and they knew they were lying to me.

The Labour Government promised a referendum on the Lisbon Trearty, but when it became clear that the vote wouldn't go the way they wanted they reneged on the referendum. I would never vote Labour again because they lied to me and they knew they were lying to me.

But other parties lie all the time. The Tories have lied about having no plans to raise VAT. The Libdems have lied about voting against tuition fees. Thatcher lied about not raising prescription charges.

They all lie. They lie because telling the truth won't get them elected.

The only ones who tell the truth are those who know they won't get elected and therefore can't be held to account.

Yes, didn't he sneak in the day after & sign it?

UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage said he spoke to Foreign Secretary David Miliband in Lisbon just moments before he signed the treaty and repeated his demand for a referendum, receiving only "a hollow laugh" in reply.

Mr Farage said: "This is just about the most thoroughly dishonest political process I have ever been witness to.