The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

Has he said nothing? Or has nothing he said been reported?

Are you seriously expecting that he'd say something and then the media wouldnt report it even including say the Guardian and Express?

To think that there is that much of a media cover up is well into the realsm of tin foil hatted conspiricary theory....

Perhaps this is why Corbyn hasn't jumped in to help her (2016):

Shadow minister irate over Labour plan to save Jeremy Corbyn's seat

Kate Osamor surprised colleagues by turning up at meeting to oppose her own party over breaking up of her constituency.

A Labour party plan that would save Jeremy Corbyn’s seat, which is threatened by boundary changes, has resulted in a furious reaction from one of the leader’s closest allies whose own constituency is to be split into three under the proposals.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/22/shadow-minister-irate-labour-plan-save-jeremy-corbyn-seat-kate-osamor

It is weird that Corbyn the man of the people for the people has not said a word, it strikes me that now he is far from a man of the people. he seem on this and many other topics very Orwellian animal farm, all equal,but some are more equal than others.

Men of the people do not live in Islington.

Are you seriously expecting that he'd say something and then the media wouldnt report it even including say the Guardian and Express?

To think that there is that much of a media cover up is well into the realsm of tin foil hatted conspiricary theory....

They can't, and don't, report everything. Nothing to do with conspiracies

---------- Post added 07-11-2018 at 16:16 ----------

Men of the people do not live in Islington.

He lives in his constituency, and I believe it is quite diverse with a broad mix of housing, nationalities and income levels.

I wish more MPs would live in their constituencies, rather than be parachuted in to safe seats to get elected. What better way of getting to know what goes on in your area than to live there?

I wish more MPs would live in their constituencies, rather than be parachuted in to safe seats to get elected. What better way of getting to know what goes on in your area than to live there?

I agree. It just a shame that Labour are doing more of this when their incumbent isn't a Corbyn suckup or to promote an all female or BAME shortlist....

They can't, and don't, report everything. Nothing to do with conspiracies

---------- Post added 07-11-2018 at 16:16 ----------

He lives in his constituency, and I believe it is quite diverse with a broad mix of housing, nationalities and income levels.

Easy to live in your constituency when it's in London near the HoC..

Easy to live in your constituency when it's in London near the HoC..

Yes but I'm sure that Jeremy would be just as dedicated and live in his constituency if he were MP for Bishop Auckland or Redcar :)

I'd be interested to know how many MPs actually live in their constituency, or even know that much about the people they purport to represent.

Maybe it ought to be a rule that all MPs standing for office in the elections come from from the local area.

I'd totally agree with that Anna. From the Parliament website:

Do MPs have to live in their constituency?

MPs do not have to live in their constituency. In fact, there is no residency qualification at all - an MP could even live outside the UK. There are, however, nationality and age qualifications and a number of other disqualifications for MPs.

Two-thirds of Tory MPs had no previous link with their constituencies

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/two-thirds-tory-mps-no-previous-link-constituencies/

I remember a big thing was made of former Tory Shaun Woodward who was parachuted into a safe Labour seat, under the promise he'd live in a terraced house in his constituency in St Helens and be a people's champion.

He never did, he never was.

Millionaire MP has still not moved to constituency

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-80873/Millionaire-MP-moved-constituency.html

But I think there's more to it these days. Luciana Berger was parachuted into a constituency in Liverpool, is doing a great job, but still hated by many locals for not being local.

Then over the water you have lonstanding MP Frank Field - massive majority, but people want him out, replaced by a parachuted candidate because some see him as a Tory collaborator!

And I think we'll see more of this under Labour as they alter their shortlists like I mentioned in post 6200.

There was a backlash when a local was overlooked to take over Andy Burnham's seat for a Corbyn supporter from Scotland.

This is a good read on the topic:

MPs are much less local than they would have us believe

http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/53041/1/Richard%20Berry-democraticaudit.com-MPs_are_much_less_local.pdf

Edited by alchresearch

Old Jeremy has been quiet lately, what's he been up to?

Hes been to the seaside up here ;)

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/17215265.labour-leader-jeremy-corbyn-visits-saltburn/

see hes dismissive of the chequers plan BUT he hasnt again put his own plan forward? he doesnt have a plan i bet

Realistically, what are Labour supposed to do about Brexit? It's an insoluble problem that they didn't cause. All they can do is basically keep their heads down and hope to make some political capital when it all goes Pete Tong.

They had chance to have a say when Article 50 was voted on in parliament.... just saying..

Any one watched Emily Thornberry on the Marr show this morning?. What an inept performance she put up. I think the likes of Thornberry, Abbott and the anorak wearing (cenotaph this morning) Corbyn will be the Tory's best weapon come the next election.

Angel1.