Bristol University Bans 'Offensive' National Anthem From Graduation Ceremony

Certainly a dull dirge of a song, and very outdated, but we have enough to worry about at the moment.

IMO a national song should be about celebrating a country and its people, not just an individual who has done nothing more than be born at the right time in the right place. 

• Like 1

At my graduation ceremony I don't even think they had music, apart from that dreadful background elevator music.

Why would the National Anthem be at a graduation ceremony? 

It's not a state event, nor are any of the royal family present. 

Why bother having music at such ceremonies at all?

1 hour ago, despritdan said:

I find it a bit dull and outdated but this seems like another step towards gradually eroding our cultural identity, history and heritage to pander to people who want to come and live here but hate everything about those 3 things.

To be honest - the people I speak to who enjoy the pomp and circumstance are those from overseas. 

I'm all for celebrating our identity as a nation. Though what I think is worth celebrating about our country others would possibly disagree with.

Edited by Mister M

Let's face it, the National Anthem, (which its not is it?  Its about an individual; the current individual being a very flawed individual & head of one of the most dysfunctional families in the UK), is the most miserable tune going. 

But as for being offensive, only the Scots really have the right to complain due to the following verse: "Lord grant that Marshal Wade, May by thy mighty aid, Victory bring. May he sedition hush, And like a torrent rush, Rebellious Scots to crush, God Save the King."

Time for a change & vive la République! 

11 hours ago, Anna B said:

Certainly a dull dirge of a song, and very outdated, but we have enough to worry about at the moment.

IMO a national song should be about celebrating a country and its people, not just an individual who has done nothing more than be born at the right time in the right place. 

You're right about that Anna, "Land of Hope And Glory" is much more uplifting. A much better anthem all round.

I remember singing that SIX TIMES (for 6 England Gold medals) at the final day of the athletics at the 2002 Commonwealth games in Manchester. They put the words on the giant screen and 35,000 (not all of the 38,000 there were English ! ) all singing it was absolutely fantastic. Much better than singing dirgy God Save The Queen.....

I wonder whether coppernob and prettytommypants would have sung it had they been there ? Or would they have cut off their noses and sat there in silence ?

Edited by Chekhov

14 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

They are like catnip to you these things aren't they.

Absolute non-story.  The only 'outrage' and 'backlash'  come from morons not even involved in it, not even at the university and over reactors the paper whips up into a froth. Absolutely pathetic.

There's not a single piece of evidence that said it was banned because it was offensive. One  student interview by the sun "thinks" "probably" "might have" They didn't know.  They weren't there. They didn't make the decision. They just took of uncorrobarted assumptions but hey that's tabloid journalism. 

What is accurate is that a healthy number of students didn't want a national anthem to be part of their graduation ceremony because they deemed the old fashioned and irrelevant and that's entirely their choice.   

Personally, I don't really see the connection between a graduation ceremony and the national anthem anyway.  It's not a royal event, It's not an event of national importance. It's not a military parade. It's not a national tournament being played out in a global stage between nations.

Move along people. Nothing to see here again.

For nothing to see you sure had a lot to say about it 

What if there are students who do want it played?

Did anyone ask them.....I doubt it

Like Warwick university where their student union is now a meat free zone because 500 far left students got together and demanded that it should be all vegan. 

Edited by Jack Grey

Some folks won't be happy, until every last vestige of British tradition has been vilified, and excoriated from the public collective consciousness.

Societal cohesiveness seems to have given way to intolerance.

But, as Flo used to say, let 'em get on with it!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, despritdan said:

I find it a bit dull and outdated but this seems like another step towards gradually eroding our cultural identity, history and heritage to pander to people who want to come and live here but hate everything about those 3 things.

Playing the national anthem at a graduation ceremony isn't part of our cultural heritage, it's just weird. I can't believe they were doing it in the first place. The people keeping British universities financially solvent are mostly from overseas.

• Like 2