Does Sheffield Need To Import Brickies Ect?

48 minutes ago, NicolaJayne said:

the fact is you  are missing the point massively  in your desperate attmept to not acknowledge the Politicaal and economic suicide that is Brexit

Whether you have that view or not this has nothing to do with Brexit, if it had been carried out properly the flow of cheap labour would have stopped and initiatives to encourage school leavers to earn trades would have happened, it's just an easy get out clause for the hard of thinking. The shortage of skilled workers in construction started long before leaving the EU was a reality.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, bassett one said:

when we voted for brexit we said we would use our own people to work and lower unwmployment,instead we return to import cheap labour and forget about our unemployed and even then still cannot fill jobs available

Send the buggers back!!!! 

6 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Most sparkys don't earn owt like 80k, especially in Sheffield. Construction is the worst area of work I've had the pleasure to be involved with. Frequently get let down last minute with jobs postponed or cancelled, get people trying to knock your price down and then chasing payments can sometimes be a nightmare. Plus my bloody back hurts frequently and I can be laid up for 2/3 days when it goes. 

People who have been unemployed for a certain length of time can retrain to be electricians and I believe can get their courses paid for up to a certain level. But most people who go on these courses and pass their exams will struggle to get someone to give them any sort of apprenticeship or work experience as nobody wants the responsibility of spending time with them, teaching and mentoring.

Apprenticeships in trades are few and far between and the quality varies enormously. Some young uns who are at college on day/block release get treat like absolute dogsbodys during actual work time and are expected to do tasks that bear no relevance to their trade. Some young uns don't get paid properly and are often working without proper PPE etc.

2 minutes ago, bungleboy69 said:

Most sparkys don't earn owt like 80k, especially in Sheffield. Construction is the worst area of work I've had the pleasure to be involved with. Frequently get let down last minute with jobs postponed or cancelled, get people trying to knock your price down and then chasing payments can sometimes be a nightmare. Plus my bloody back hurts frequently and I can be laid up for 2/3 days when it goes. 

People who have been unemployed for a certain length of time can retrain to be electricians and I believe can get their courses paid for up to a certain level. But most people who go on these courses and pass their exams will struggle to get someone to give them any sort of apprenticeship or work experience as nobody wants the responsibility of spending time with them, teaching and mentoring.

Apprenticeships in trades are few and far between and the quality varies enormously. Some young uns who are at college on day/block release get treat like absolute dogsbodys during actual work time and are expected to do tasks that bear no relevance to their trade. Some young uns don't get paid properly and are often working without proper PPE etc.

I believe you. 

Workers, skilled or otherwise, get very little respect in this country, though it's their hard work and endurance that has built this country literally from the ground up. We owe them, and should be grateful.

As we found out during the pandemic it was these everyday workers that kept this country running.  Often the lowest paid workers are the ones we can't do without, yet they receive no awards, and are regarded as unimportant and disposable. They've had enough. No wonder they aren't breaking down the doors to get back to work...

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, bungleboy69 said:

Most of the content uploaded by miggypop is American so the 80k could be dollars.

I wonder if these imported bricklayers could build furnaces , kilns and other intricate works that Sheffield trained bricklayers was expected to do not so many years ago , or do they just lay one on top of another a semi skilled job .

Edited by cuttsie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, cuttsie said:

I wonder if these imported bricklayers could build furnaces , kilns and other intricate works that Sheffield trained bricklayers was expected to do not so many years ago , or do they just lay one on top of another a semi skilled job .

and  here  dear reader is the problem ...

• Like 1