Does Sheffield Need To Import Brickies Ect?

2 hours ago, NicolaJayne said:

and  here  dear reader is the problem ...

indeed.

As with most jobs, I expect there's a great deal more to it than just 'laying one brick on top of another'...

But what it does show is the general lack of understanding and respect for other workers. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Anna B said:

indeed.

As with most jobs, I expect there's a great deal more to it than just 'laying one brick on top of another'...

But what it does show is the general lack of understanding and respect for other workers. 

Many people seem to think a bricklayer just lays bricks to a line without knowing the knowledge an apprentice trained bricklayer has.

A very skilled trade.

14 hours ago, cuttsie said:

I wonder if these imported bricklayers could build furnaces , kilns and other intricate works that Sheffield trained bricklayers was expected to do not so many years ago , or do they just lay one on top of another a semi skilled job .

Oh happy days! After leaving school I had the pleasure of working for a firm which relined Sheffield and Rotherham’s steel furnaces as a bricklayers labourer. Top skilled men working 12 hour shifts ( except for a pub visit)  in horrendous conditions but never  forgot how they always met deadlines and the end product was top class

sad to say a proportion of todays brickies are  division 4 by comparison and you’ve only got to look at the quality or lack of on new builds 

soooo …. Whilst ever clients continue to accept shoddy finishes and look for the cheap option the import of them there foreigners is maybe not the answer…. We maybe need to encourage youngsters to take up  the trade and subsidise their apprenticeships cos few firms want to know or can afford

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Man in Crete said:

<snip>

soooo …. Whilst ever clients continue to accept shoddy finishes and look for the cheap option the import of them there foreigners is maybe not the answer…. We maybe need to encourage youngsters to take up  the trade and subsidise their apprenticeships cos few firms want to know or can afford

the shoddy finish is the pressure to deliver  *barely acceptable* product  in the shortest possible  time 

i get the impression that especially  for  Brickies   because aren't the big  firms to train  people in the same way  as we might see with  electrics  or plumbing   

• Like 1

Years ago I was talking to an old bricklayer about the old buildings with beautiful brickwork and the bond styles, not just stretcher bond. 

His reason for the change to basic brickwork was when bonus schemes came in. ( cavity walls also brought in changes)

Workmen / craftsmen used to get a great deal of personal satisfaction from a job well done, to a high standard.

Sadly that's also something that's missing in the modern world. Even that little nugget of joy has been taken from them, with all the pressure to turn a fast buck.

Edited by Anna B

why can we not train our unemployed instead of letting them sun bathe ? we have thousands of labouring jobs as well,we moan about imigration and the tories moan yet advertise for these jobs as our workers are either not able to be trained or dont want the work, as this is the case dont moan about foreign labour,but the other problem that means more housing and medical people needed,i saw on telly countrys abroud have a shortage of nurses due to them all coming here,cannot some of the unemployed be trained?

18 minutes ago, bassett one said:

why can we not train our unemployed instead of letting them sun bathe ? we have thousands of labouring jobs as well,we moan about imigration and the tories moan yet advertise for these jobs as our workers are either not able to be trained or dont want the work, as this is the case dont moan about foreign labour,but the other problem that means more housing and medical people needed,i saw on telly countrys abroud have a shortage of nurses due to them all coming here,cannot some of the unemployed be trained?

I know  that recycling & reusing is to be commended normally - but your constant regurgitation of the same turgid blah blah blah is getting tedious

Ask Geoff for some new topics

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bassett one said:

Money.

It costs money to train people, and no one wants to pay for it.  The unemployed can't afford it, the building firms can't be bothered when they can get qualified people from abroad, and say they haven't time to deal with the paperwork etc, The government don't want to pay for it either, even though everyone would benefit from it. The 6 week courses that they do for a few youngsters barely scratch the surface in terms of training. Parents don't want to pay for it, they'd rather their kids went to University.

This has been going on for years, which is why we have such a dearth of skilled workers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MJ01 said:

I know  that recycling & reusing is to be commended normally - but your constant regurgitation of the same turgid blah blah blah is getting tedious

Ask Geoff for some new topics

He may have said it before but,  the message is as true and as relevant as it was  last time.

We were going to train our own workers but,  when it comes to the push, government decides  it's easier to import them.

That's one of the reasons this country is going down the plug hole.

The British Empire showed the world how to do almost everything and now, the world has to come and show us.