Does Sheffield Need To Import Brickies Ect?

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

Lucky you Cuttsie,   I would have loved that

Until the cement lorry turned up,    then a eight stone kid suddenly had 114lb bags of cement chucked on his back during unloading , carried them to a cabin at double qwick pace . You soon learned that the building trade is not for softy  kids on mobile phones . 

In the end you ended up being able to do the job because you actually had to graft from day one .

• Like 1

but we are also having to import workers for hotel and shop work and farm work,why can we not train our own. the country we intend to send boat folk to has a shortage of nurses as we have taken all theres,so why have we not trained our unemployed ? in fact why have we so many unemployed? and employers are saying we need even more people from abroad to fill job vacancies ,it seems odd to me why we pay people to stop at home and import workers,some will say wages but if folk can come from abroad work and be happy why can our workers not.

1 minute ago, bassett one said:

but we are also having to import workers for hotel and shop work and farm work,why can we not train our own. the country we intend to send boat folk to has a shortage of nurses as we have taken all theres,so why have we not trained our unemployed ? in fact why have we so many unemployed? and employers are saying we need even more people from abroad to fill job vacancies ,it seems odd to me why we pay people to stop at home and import workers,some will say wages but if folk can come from abroad work and be happy why can our workers not.

That's true enough and I'm in full agreement with that.

The excuse will all be about what we can afford but we have been running on cheap labour for many years and both governments and employers have been happy with that.

One of the promises of Brexit was that this would stop but it would seem that government and employers still don't want it to stop..

If other countries can manage,  then why can't we ?

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

Until the cement lorry turned up,    then a eight stone kid suddenly had 114lb bags of cement chucked on his back during unloading , carried them to a cabin at double qwick pace . You soon learned that the building trade is not for softy  kids on mobile phones . 

In the end you ended up being able to do the job because you actually had to graft from day one .

When the bricks arrived on the back of a lorry they were thrown down 2 at a time which you had to catch and stack before the next 2 arrived. Plenty of trapped fingers.! No gloves either in those days.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

When the bricks arrived on the back of a lorry they were thrown down 2 at a time which you had to catch and stack before the next 2 arrived. Plenty of trapped fingers.! No gloves either in those days.

Bang on at 15 years old you had to work , now some are in the 20's before they even think of it , some never do .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cuttsie said:

A similar story from ‘Steve Black, worked in construction since I was 14’

When I started work as an apprentice in the mid 70’s, the first job on a Monday morning was for all the apprentices to unload the cement delivery. At least one truck load maybe two.

Each load was 20 tons of 112 lbs bags of cement which was the only size you could get then.

It was heavy work. Too heavy. You would join the queue and when it was your turn you would pull the bag forward so it dropped onto your shoulder and carry it into the stores and up to the first floor. That would be a hard morning work.

Then in the 80’s due to health and safety concerns the 25kg bags came in, hooray.

Although in the late nineties I bought a shipment of cement in the old 1cwt bags that had evidently came from India. My labourers hated them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

That may well be so but,   that doesn't explain why we still have these shortages of skilled workers,   and we still have the need to recruit abroad.

If the system was working as it should,  we would not have these shortages so something is not working.

the apprenticeship levy that was introduced  in  April 2017  and of course we've had all the fun of the  disruption related to Lockdowns since ...  

it's almost as though you   don't  understand even the most  elementary  stuff about workforce planning 

Edited by NicolaJayne
typo

1 hour ago, NicolaJayne said:

the apprenticeship levy that was introduced  in  April 2017  and of course we've had all the fun of the  distrruption related ot Lockdowns since ...  

it;s alsmost as though you   don;t  understand even the most  elementary  stuff aobut workforce planning 

You think that the mere fact of introducing a levy, automatically fills the country with Brickies etc.

Sorry,  it doesn't   -   there's a shortage,  which is what we are carping about,   and the government is considering foreign labour,  which is also what we are carping about.

You enjoy the delights of the levy whilst the country struggles to find the men that you and your workforce planners can't find.

After a lifetime in supervisory positions and running my own business,  I  understand perfectly well whilst you mean  -  -  -  Yes, very elementary.

Tell us where the Brickies are coming from ???????

Edited by Organgrinder
  • Haha 2