South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

23 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

SCC don’t decide where shelters are put in. That’s the responsibility of the MCA/PTE. They own them. 

Actually, I know that, maybe I should have said the MCA/PTE have a pathological dislike. The point is though, that the design/layout of the footway in that area (AG southwards) is incompatible with the provision of shelters, which SCC should have been aware of when they decided to 'temporarily' change the routing of the buses..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

There are piles of unused shelters at Swinton Interchange, next to the car park. The bus stop outside O2 Academy definitely needs a shelter, as it is very exposed with no buildings 'huddled' around it. Bus drivers also relieve each other there too, so they would be glad of it.

TSY also need to get rid of those ridiculous poles for seats and install proper flat seats. Who ever invented those pole perches is a sadist! 

My bold. 

And yet they always look so miserable when I catch a bus. 

Main reason for not installing shelters and the reason why many are disappearing outside of the city centre in favour of a single pole is maintenance costs. I've noticed on my night travels that a lot of shelters where the lights are mains powered have been disconnected

I would very much like to know where all the money from Government and from the fees they collect from the bus companies for stop/station use is going, it certainly doesn't look likes it's going to maintenance costs from a passenger's perspective.

Whilst I'm at it, which idiot in charge decided that midnight blue was the perfect colour to paint the bus stops. They must be an utter nightmare for drivers to see in the dark, especially in unlit areas

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1
3 hours ago, Resident said:

Whilst I'm at it, which idiot in charge decided that midnight blue was the perfect colour to paint the bus stops. They must be an utter nightmare for drivers to see in the dark, especially in unlit areas

Agreed, not to mention the lazy "stops both sides" stops. Invisible for 50% of the time in daylight, 100% of the time at night. 

On 19/05/2023 at 06:57, RollingJ said:

, SCC has a pathological dislike of the South/South-west of the city and its inhabitants.

Yes, I agree there. If you live in Firth Park, there are heaps of buses to take you all over. I believe there is some sort of North Sheffield scheme that the PTE set up where there has to be a certain number of buses per hour, all low floor and all with front, rear and side route indicators. 

If you live in Totley or Nether Edge, you are lucky if a bus turns up. And poor Ringinglow doesn't have any bus service any more. There is also the heavily populated Lydgate Lane in Crosspool which has had no bus service for 17 years! 

You can get a bus to every corner of the Longley estate, Southey, Parson Cross, Ecclesfield. The only weak link in the North is Stockbridge.

20 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Regarding the bus stops, certainly within in the city centre, they SHOULD be of the same standard, namely a proper bus shelter with adequate protection from the elements & an electronic timetable.

It's very random which bus stops get what. Some of the bus stops at busy points on Ecclesall Road have no electronic display. The next stop along will have them. The newer grey/silver bus stops don't seem to have them for some reason but do have a chunky block where they would go...yet nothing inside it.

There could definitely be a slimline type bus shelter on Arundel gate. Obviously the North/East bound side doesn't need it as the former TJ Hughes canopies it.

20 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Yes, I agree there. If you live in Firth Park, there are heaps of buses to take you all over. I believe there is some sort of North Sheffield scheme that the PTE set up where there has to be a certain number of buses per hour, all low floor and all with front, rear and side route indicators. 

All current vehicles, of all operators, have front, rear and side route indicators, but I am not aware of a current 'North Sheffield scheme'.

Guest busdriver1

Proposed changes - SUBJECT TO CHANGE 

5 Sheffield to Firth Park via Grimesthorpe. Change of operator to TM Travel, no change to route or timetable.
6 Sheffield to Millhouses via Bents Green. Change of route and timetable. Will no terminate at Sheffield Interchange rather than Arundel Gate. Revised to operate every 45 minutes.
7 Rotherham to Barnsley via Hoyland. New hourly Mon-Sat service to be awarded to Globe.
10/10A Sheffield to Manor Top via Manor Park/Upperthorpe. New hourly Mon-Sat service to be awarded to Stagecoach Yorkshire.
23 Stocksbridge to Millhouse Green via Penistone. Change of operator to South Pennine. No change to route or timetable.
23A Barnsley to Deepcar via Stocksbridge. Change of operator to South Pennine. No change to route or timetable.
24 Barnsley to Ingbirchworth via Penistone. Change of operator to South Pennine. No change to route or timetable.
26/26A Crystal Peaks to Thorpe Salvin via Harthill. Change of operator to TM Travel, no change to route or timetable.
29 Sheffield/Chapeltown to Holmfirth via Penistone. Change of operator to South Pennine. No change to route or timetable.
31 Sheffield to Loxley. Change of timetable to provide a clockface hourly timetable. No change to operator (still TM Travel).
32 Sheffield to Northern General Hospital via Parson Cross. New hourly Mon-Sat service to be awarded to TM Travel.
52 Doncaster to South Elmsall via Woodlands. Change of operator to Arriva Yorkshire, no change to route or timetable.
76A Sheffield to Chancet Wood via Woodseats. Change of operator to TM Travel, no change to route or timetable.
84A Doncaster to Lindholme via Barnby Dun. Change of route and operator to Goodfellows. First commercial 84 will now run Doncaster to Barnby Dun only. 84A will operate between Barnby Dun and Lindholme bi-hourly, Mon-Sat daytime.
84B Doncaster to Sykehouse via Barnby Dun. Change of route and operator to Goodfellows. First commercial 84 will now run Doncaster to Barnby Dun only. 84B will operate between Barnby Dun and Sykehouse bi-hourly, Mon-Sat daytime.
114 Rotherham to Whiston via Herringthorpe. New hourly Mon-Sat service to be awarded to Stagecoach Yorkshire.
138 Rotherham to Kimberworth Park via Kimberworth. New hourly Mon-Sat service to be awarded to Stagecoach Yorkshire.
181 Sheffield to Dore via Hunters Bar. Change of operator to South Pennine, no change to route or timetable.
201 Chapeltown to Stocksbridge via Tankersley. Change of operator to South Pennine, no change to route or timetable.
217 Swinton Interchange to Wombwell via Wath upon Dearne. New hourly Mon-Sat service to be awarded to Stagecoach Yorkshire. Partially replaces service 223.
A1 Meadowhall to Waverley via Sheffield City Airport. Withdrawn and partially replaced by new service X74.
X4 Doncaster to Doncaster Sheffield Airport via iPort. Change of operator to Goodfellows.
X74 Sheffield to Meadowhall via Waverley. New hourly Mon-Fri service to be awarded to TM Travel.