Julie Dore - wasting your money to protect it

Fairness is a big issue in Sheffield which is probably the most polarised city in

the the country, The Hallam Constituency(Eccleshall,Dore Millhouses) is acknowledged as one of the most prosperous areas, outside of London/Southeast. Then we have the North/North East of the city (Parson Cross, Shiregreen,Southey Green etc) one of the poorest.

Also the discrepancy in life expectancy is getting up to 10 years between the areas, with the north side obviously the loser.

Are you on the Commission?

Fairness is a big issue in Sheffield which is probably the most polarised city in

the the country, The Hallam Constituency(Eccleshall,Dore Millhouses) is acknowledged as one of the most prosperous areas, outside of London/Southeast. Then we have the North/North East of the city (Parson Cross, Shiregreen,Southey Green etc) one of the poorest.

Also the discrepancy in life expectancy is getting up to 10 years between the areas, with the north side obviously the loser.

Look we can go one of two ways with this.

1. Bring some employment, capital, enterprise and growth into Sheffield. Give those people in the poorer districts a way to get well paid work and get out of poverty.

Heck when I was growing up in London cheeky, confident barrow boys could land themselves jobs in the city & earn a packet.

Would love to see similar opportunities for the poorer folk here.

2. Go down the class war "screw the people in Millhouses & Dore" route to redress the balance. But that's plain stupid.

1. Bring some employment, capital, enterprise and growth into Sheffield. Give those people in the poorer districts a way to get well paid work and get out of poverty.

Heck when I was growing up in London cheeky, confident barrow boys could land themselves jobs in the city & earn a packet.

Would love to see similar opportunities for the poorer folk here.

2. Go down the class war "screw the people in Millhouses & Dore" route to redress the balance. But that's plain stupid.

Hmmm, which of those will our council choose? I wonder.

I'm actually considering leaving Sheffield.

successive council waste and incompetence have lead to us being years behind any other big Northern City.

And now with the cuts to culture and arts means that the only good things we have going for us will likely disappear.

if you asked someone from any other city to outline what's good about it, they wouldn't get stuck after. "It's near the Peak District and the friendliness of the people."

Well thats two things people will not say about Leeds.If you did leave Sheffield where would you go?

You've changed Man.

Sean,

Good, let the lazy media continue to misrepresent Sheffield. It's their loss not ours! We have the beautiful views, the wonderful peak district, the great, friendly and straightforward people. The excellent warm nightlife. It's great.

Do you know what I'm scared of? I'm scared of it changing - becoming the next "in" place and then hordes of moneyed types descending here and trying to remake Sheffield in their own image. I am sooo happy here after 5 years of being quite ****** off in London ( I was born in London but left when I was 21, returned when I was 31, and left again earlier this year - for good hopefully). So I don't care whether the media think Sheffield's good or not. It *is* great, we're here and that's all that matters.

Rant over!

Zeddy

You've changed Man.

Lol. That's funny Stan!

For me life's still great. I live in the nice burbs, close to the Peak District, vibe off the friendly folk in the city. I have a nice standard of living etc.

But the excellent nightlife's disappearing!

And I still wouldn't live in London if again if you paid me.

But I feel for the folk who don't have access to some of the opportunity that I had. I'm not talking about remaking Sheffield in London's image, it just needs an economic makeover.

why is trying to make the city a fairer place a waste? Isn't this money also going to be spent over a 10 year period?

I am right with you on this. These people obviously are`nt interested in the disparity between the south and north of SF. or ignorant of the situation,but

but in any case dont want to miss a chance to hammer the council.

I am right with you on this. These people obviously are`nt interested in the disparity between the south and north of SF. or ignorant of the situation,but

Its a waste of council tax payers money because the council does not have a statutory duty to solve the disparity between the south and north of Sheffield.

The council should concentrate on carrying out these statutory duties and not get involved in sidelines, however noble they may be.

This latest crazy idea from the council is a loads of codswallop. No amount of money will change areas like Pitsmoor, Burngreave, parson cross and the manor into the Dore`s ,Fulwood and Wirlow. you will always have rich and poor areas in any city, its the way it is ,and always will be.