Julie Dore - wasting your money to protect it

I'm actually considering leaving Sheffield.

successive council waste and incompetence have lead to us being years behind any other big Northern City.

And now with the cuts to culture and arts means that the only good things we have going for us will likely disappear.

if you asked someone from any other city to outline what's good about it, they wouldn't get stuck after. "It's near the Peak District and the friendliness of the people."

Looking at the 2 most recent pages of your posts over the last 10-11 days, most have been slagging off Islam, slagging off immigration, sticking up for the BNP, slagging off the Labour council, etc. It's obvious what your politics are. You're on the far right.

Isn't retep Peter backwards?

Immigration is also now being slagged off by the left are they also on the right.

Islam needs slagging off while ever it's destructive

Sticking up for the BNP? don't you mean democracy, you know that bit that you would deny them.

Liebore need slagging off for the mess they made of Sheffield, the country, and the deaths they've left behind them.

No capital letter in retep how could it be Peter backwards.

Not doing very well here are you.

And he'd probably do a better job than all the Tory wreckers, Lib Dem Liars and the people that vote for them put together.

I don't think anyone is saying that another political colour would be better. Sheffield just needs better Labour ones.

Like I said in another post, Manchester and Liverpool seem to be muddling on despite the cuts. The city centres go from strength to strength, there's investment (and it's welcomed) and there are plenty of festivals and other things going on to top up the coffers with the tourist £££.

I don't think anyone is saying that another political colour would be better. Sheffield just needs better Labour ones.

Like I said in another post, Manchester and Liverpool seem to be muddling on despite the cuts. The city centres go from strength to strength, there's investment (and it's welcomed) and there are plenty of festivals and other things going on to top up the coffers with the tourist £££.

Be fair we do have the "moping about with a long face" festival in Sheffield..it's a yearly one and runs from January to December..

Well she does bring it on herself.

She has a million quid of our money.

She claims riots will result from service cuts.

Does she spend that money on services? No. She spunks it up the wall on reports about "fairness". Why? Because in her head you can't spend money on services that may have to be cut in the future, so it's best to just waste it.

She is utterly useless, that's why she cops for so much stick.

I presume the million quid will be spent on more of these.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/scandal-of-sheffield-council-s-consultancy-fees-1-5318282

Sheffield Council is paying consultants wages of up to £800 a day, new figures show today.

The Star can reveal the authority has been paying one adviser £800 a day for providing ‘high quality expertise’ to its special educational needs team.

Meanwhile, unions say several more consultants are currently on £600 to £700 a day working on a redesign of social care services.

In total, the council spent £4.7 million on consultants over the 12 months to the end of November.

Sheffield Council has just announced £50 million of cuts for 2013/14, including £30 million to front-line services which could see up to 14 libraries shut, closure of Don Valley Stadium and Stocksbridge Leisure Centre and the end of grants to provide activities for young people.

Some 600 council staff are set to lose their jobs on top of 1,400 posts which have been axed over the last two years.

I think much of this relates to the blinkered, insular view that some Sheffielders have.

They're happy in their rut because the city provides just what they need - we've seen this in the threads about the city centre shops, and the arguments about "We don't want an IKEA", "We don't want a Harvey Nicks or skyscrapers", when in reality THEY don't and bugger anyone else.

But some people want more, and they're having to go elsewhere to get it. And if you dare to mention how better another city is doing you get attacked by Unisol (although its funny how he only goes for me and won't attack and Sheffield based posters criticising the city).

Good summary. Witness the bluster and fuss of the Beightonians when Network Rail wanted to build a depot on old railway sidings (creating hundreds of jobs.) All sorts of nonsense was being floated around about chimneys belching acrid smoke out on Green Belt land. When Network Rail said sod this, packed up and went to Nottingham instead the Beightonians celebrated. Very sad.

---------- Post added 01-02-2013 at 15:35 ----------

I blame Thatcher

Whilst no doubt your post was made in jest unfortunately this attitude is al to common in the PRoSY. It may be true but the fact that people cannot move on means we will forever be stuck in the past as everyone else marches on.

Fairness is a big issue in Sheffield which is probably the most polarised city in

the the country, The Hallam Constituency(Eccleshall,Dore Millhouses) is acknowledged as one of the most prosperous areas, outside of London/Southeast. Then we have the North/North East of the city (Parson Cross, Shiregreen,Southey Green etc) one of the poorest.

Also the discrepancy in life expectancy is getting up to 10 years between the areas, with the north side obviously the loser.