Julie Dore - wasting your money to protect it

Bradway and Wadsley are rich and at other ends of the City.

Low Edges and Tinsley, not so rich. Also at other ends of the City.

Indicating that Sheffield does not have rich and poor areas concentrated at either ends of the City.

Indicating that Sheffield does not have rich and poor areas concentrated at either ends of the City.

Thanks-I would not have been so polite and patient in my response.

why is trying to make the city a fairer place a waste? Isn't this money also going to be spent over a 10 year period?

But the money isn't going to make Sheffield a fairer place. The money was wasted on a report into the blindingly obvious. Do you really need to spend a fortune on consultants to tell you folk in Dore are better off than those in High Green.

What will she waste money on next; consultants to tell her it goes dark at night?

But the money isn't going to make Sheffield a fairer place. The money was wasted on a report into the blindingly obvious. Do you really need to spend a fortune on consultants to tell you folk in Dore are better off than those in High Green.

What will she waste money on next; consultants to tell her it goes dark at night?

You might like to consult the report as many High Green residents have higher incomes than some of those those in Dore.It is called research and like a Census ,but focusing on Sheffield.Just accept it and get on with things.

Thanks-I would not have been so polite and patient in my response.

Although to be fair, Downhiller (in post #60) used the word "concentrated". I think the cases of Lowedges etc., are rather the exception wouldn't you say.

It could be argued that in the West and South West there is a cluster of relative affluence: Dore, Totley, Bradway, Millhouses, Eccleshall, Lodge Moor, Whirlow, Crosspool, Fulwood etc.

Whereas in the East one may perceive a cluster of less well-off areas. Of course in both east and West there will be exceptions, outliers if you will. However I think it would be disingenuous to argue against the general east/west trend.

---------- Post added 08-02-2013 at 14:14 ----------

You might like to consult the report as many High Green residents have higher incomes than some of those those in Dore.It is called research and like a Census ,but focusing on Sheffield.Just accept it and get on with things.

Yes but we're dealing with aggregates here. There will be individuals in very poor third world nations with wealth greater than many individuals in very wealthy industrialised nations. However when comparing nation A against nation B one would use aggregates - the mean, the median or even the mode (don't get me started on standard deviations...). Otherwise you'll just get lost in detail and it would be easy to fall prey to selective biases.

Oh and please point me to the location in the Fairness Commission report where it details the High Green Vs Dore income distribution because I can't find it!

Edited by E-Man Groovin

But the money isn't going to make Sheffield a fairer place.
Compared to most countries and even most towns and cities in the UK Sheffield is ridiculously fair. Work hard and get on. I know one or two people who grew up in frowned upon places that knuckled down now live in leafy West Sheffield. I know people from West Sheffield who have ended up in bad areas (or worse).

So despite the best efforts of incompetence from successive councils the City does work.

The money was wasted on a report into the blindingly obvious.
Well Julie got herself some attention and showed off how pious she is. So not completely wasted.

You done it now, giving her another idea to spend money on!

It is not just me thats saying sheffield is a polarised city it is a statistical fact that Eccleshall,Dore, Fulwood, Millhouses, Norton are prosperous areas,but at the other end of the city, Foxhill,Parson Cross, Southey Shiregreen,Tinsley are all deprived areas. Go and have a look at the differance in the houses for Gods sake.