Do Disabled People Mind If I Park In Their Space?

I'd like to see the criteria for issuing blue badges, I've never heard that having HIV would qualify someone for one.

Here it is :

Walking Disability

You will need to show that:

you cannot walk; or

you are unable to walk very far without experiencing severe discomfort; or

the physical effort needed to walk could damage your health.

The degree of impairment should be similar to that required to claim the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance. Entitlement depends on your difficulty walking, and considerations such as difficulty in carrying parcels cannot be taken into account, the condition also has to be permanent and substantial.

What would the person with good manners and social etiquette do? Leave and go to another supermarket?

---------- Post added 23-12-2012 at 11:18 ----------

The only person I knew with a disabled badge revelled in it. He was perfectly able bodied, but still qualified for a blue badge because he had HIV.

1).......or wait a while 'till one became available. It's my experience you don't have to wait too long.

2) Absolute bull.....you've made that up. You don't qualify for a blue badge just because you're diagnosed with HIV.

I'd like to see the criteria for issuing blue badges, I've never heard that having HIV would qualify someone for one.

Same here.

I know alot of people who are HIV postive and the majority don't have blue badges or get DLA (or any other sickness benefits). Most of them are in full time employment and paying their taxes like any other normal person. Those who only qualify for DLA have qaulified on the basis that HIV virus wrecked their nervous system so making them physically disabled. These people caught the virus in the 1980s where there wasn't any treatment and getting HIV was a death sentence itself.

Obivously things have changed since since the advert of ARVs in the mid 1990s. However ARV treatment is only effective when its caught early before the virus can do any lasting damage. Its scarely to see what can actually happen if HIV is left unchecked in an infected person. I would never wish that upon anyone.

Being HIV positive itself is no basis to qualiify for DLA or any other sickness benefit.

Edited by moooo

The bloke I knew got a free car too as part of the Motability scheme, but he was perfectly able bodied, although sadly he died quite suddenly in 2009 of liver cancer.

What if 2 people arrive at the same time, for the one remaining disabled bay in the car park.

Person 1, has a blue badge, while person 2 doesn't. However, because of a recent sporting injury, person 2 has a LOT more pain and physical difficulty in getting around.

Why should get the spot?

I don't think its a big issue if there was umpteen other spaces available(although some jobsworth might think differently).

There is a bloke who thinks its fine to park in Icelands disabled spot(lane top).Seen him do it a couple of times now to pick his beer up.Drives around in a crappy little red polo with black painted wheels for that extra touch of class!

You may have seen it around Shiregreen,possibly had to swerve your car out of the way of it!