Do Disabled People Mind If I Park In Their Space?

Just a thought.

As I visited Argos today I parked in the disabled parking spaces because the item I was picking up was heavy. I thought they wouldn't mind me using their space for a short period and the odds of a large amount of disabled people visiting all at once was remote anyway. There were numerous empty spots.

Did I do right? and if you are disabled do you mind others using the parking spaces reserved for you, when there's numerous ones unused?

If you're not disabled do you think that it is selfish to reserve something in the hope that they will be used? When they never all are. Why do disabled people not have to suffer the same inconveniences like anyone else and sometimes have to wait for an appropriate parking spot.

I'm not having a go at disabled people and the usual anti disabled bay moan... Just some thoughts while I sat there waiting for my number to come up.....:suspect:

I think you'll find that most disabled people are quite tolerant and don't mind their parking spaces being used by the able bodied, so long as there's plenty of spaces left for them. I think they recognise that most shops and supermarkets over-provide disabled spaces so they don't mind a bit of give and take.

I don't have a problem as long as there are ample spaces for those people with disabilities who need them.

I DO have a problem with people parking in the spot painted outside my house because it's the only spot left in the street. That defeats the entire purpose of having the parking space painted because if it's the only space left in the street and I can't do the distance from another street up the hill then I'm going to have to sit in the car until whoever has parked in the space has moved (since I'm the only person insured to drive the car and my partner doesn't drive).

Just a thought.

As I visited Argos today I parked in the disabled parking spaces because the item I was picking up was heavy. I thought they wouldn't mind me using their space for a short period and the odds of a large amount of disabled people visiting all at once was remote anyway. There were numerous empty spots.

Did I do right? and if you are disabled do you mind others using the parking spaces reserved for you, when there's numerous ones unused?

If you're not disabled do you think that it is selfish to reserve something in the hope that they will be used? When they never all are. Why do disabled people not have to suffer the same inconveniences like anyone else and sometimes have to wait for an appropriate parking spot.

I'm not having a go at disabled people and the usual anti disabled bay moan... Just some thoughts while I sat there waiting for my number to come up.

If the land is private [= not a public highway], You could lawfully argue that whether they mind or nor is irrelevant.

It's polite not to use spaces set-aside for disabled people, I agree, and I always try to leave the spaces available.

But an objecting disabled person has no legitimate claim in law against you, and nor does Argos.

Just a thought.

I'm not having a go at disabled people and the usual anti disabled bay moan... Just some thoughts while I sat there waiting for my number to come up.....:suspect:

Disabled spaces are usually closer to the entrance and have space around them. I think they're done like that more for physically disabled people who have trouble with mobility and actually couldn't get out of their cars in a normal space. Although I could be wrong.

I'd be pretty ****** off if you parked in the only disabled space and expected me to walk on crutches/use a wheelchair/etc from the opposite end of the car park.

However if there's plenty of them spare I don't see the problem.

Just a thought.

Just to turn the post full circle, someone able bodied parks in a Disabled bay, as they enter the shop the remaining couple of Disabled bays are used up. You pull up (Disabled) and there are no bays left, you sit there gnashing your teeth and chewing the fat until our able bodied friend skips out, loads his car and with a cheery wave drives away.

Would you mind the able bodied nicking your space.

Angel.

I am sure a disabled person would probably think carrying a heavy item was like a handicap,and might even lend a hand.Why not write to Argos and ask them to designate some spaces for people buying heavy objects-they could paint a Mr Bean logo in each space.