Do Disabled People Mind If I Park In Their Space?

Well, it's just a made up hypothetical scenario; but my point is, that a person who is the most pain, and most physical incapability, at this moment; is the one who has greater need and should (IMHO) get the spot. Regardless of them having a badge or not.

Is there no capability within the system to issue a temporary badge? That would be the obvious solution to your dilemma.

Is there no capability within the system to issue a temporary badge? That would be the obvious solution to your dilemma.

Unsure on the temporary badge thing.

I'm guessing it's probably quite a rare thing, but imagine that it does happen; a person may be incapacitated from injury or accident, etc. Yet, feel they can't occupy a disabled spot, because of the stigma attached to doing so.

It kinda reminds me of the relationship between what's morally right (which is itself, perhaps a subjective matter), vs, what's legal. I think in most cases, they overlap, but not always.

Back to my hypothetical scenario; I would have to say, both persons 1 and 2, would be more entitled to the spot than myself. However, I have to confess, at times I have parked in a disabled spot (in a private car park), but, I make an assessment as to the number of spaces available, how long I will be there, likelihood that I will deprive someone more deserving of the spot, etc. It's certainly a last resort thing, and if I feel there is the slightest chance that I may deprive someone more deserving of the spot, I won't take it.

Are there any conditions people can envisage, where it would acceptable for a non-badge holder to use a disabled spot?

No, currently there is no capability for temporary badges at all, meaning that someone with a broken leg who will be in a wheelchair or on crutches for a couple of months needs to hope that they can have shopping delivered ;)

If you're in constant pain then you may not be able to make it from any space other than one right by the door.

I can't make it around most shops by myself, let alone from out across the car park, trying to push a trolley across it on the way back again.

I think you really ought to think about the other effects of being in constant pain, like a lack of stamina when pushing oneself through pain, before you comment.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

there may have been empty spaces, but they are there for disabled people when they need them..

its the same with the disabled persons loo, it may appear empty, but there may be those with a need to access it quickly.

those of us who use the disabled peoples facilities don't have a choice as to where to park, go to the loo etc. others do.

I didn't realise that disabled loos were for the sole use of disabled people - I thought they were to provide facilities that wheelchair users were able to us? Very often, the disabled facility and the ladies' loo (sometimes the gents') is one and the same, especially in smaller cafes etc.

If you're dieing for the loo, there's a queue a mile long for the ladies', an empty disabled toilet and there's not a wheelchair user in sight, is it such a bad thing to use it? Seems like a logical thing to do.

Are there any conditions people can envisage, where it would acceptable for a non-badge holder to use a disabled spot?

Stopped to administer first aid.

Having a heart attack (in which case parking is quite impressive)

Those sorts of things.

'Can't find another space' is IMO never good enough.

I think they should create a 2 tier system lets say Blue and Orange Badges

Blue Badge = people who need mobility chairs etc, these spots will be extra wide and near the entrance.

Orange Badge = People who do not need mobility chairs, and can walk with a stick etc, these will be placed further away from the blue badge areas and be slightly wider.

If you can walk unaided (if you are in pain or not) you shouldn't really get a badge.

Stopped to administer first aid.

Having a heart attack (in which case parking is quite impressive)

Those sorts of things.

'Can't find another space' is IMO never good enough.

Another one is when someone is temporarily seriously injured, like with a broken leg or other injury that leads to them being on crutches or in a wheelchair. I would have no issue at all with a car carrying them being parked in a disabled bay.

Morally I'd agree, but without a badge they'd be subject to whatever penalties exist...

I understand that, but was answering personally. As stated on another thread, there is no such thing as a temporary blue badge which means that anybody who is recovering from an injury that genuinely incapacitates them is really very limited in what support they can get for getting to buy food (for instance).