The old houses off Penistone rd

Does anyone remember when people used to skate on the ice in Hillsborough Park in the Winter and in the Summer fish for Carp?

Let's be hearing your memories.

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to Everyone.

PopT

Does anyone remember when people used to skate on the ice in Hillsborough Park in the Winter and in the Summer fish for Carp?

Let's be hearing your memories.

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to Everyone.

PopT

I played on the ice as a kid in Hillsborough park, i can remember the ice being as thick as ya leg...... all we get now is frost:hihi: went fishing with mi mates... also anyone remember the little paddle boats.. them were the days!:)

god i feel old now.....thanks for that PopT:hihi:

Yes i can remember the paddle boats weren't they all different colours?

I remember in the Autumn walking down parkside rd on our way home from school we would "shuffle" with our feet under the leaves and see who could get the highest pile of leaves to the top of our legs...mum weren't too happy tho when we'd get old bits of leaves stuck in our socks and more so when we'd have all dog muck all over our shoes!!!...we just couldn't see it!!!:gag::)

Does anybody remember the allotment gardens that were in the park down the side of Parkside Road?

Happy Days!

I remember the paddle boats....spent hours on them, lol.

And the pond freezing up.

Best memories for me of childhood was the grass slides. We used to take cardboard boxes up on the hill behind the speedway ground just above the old graveyard.

Oh...and put pennies on the railway line to squash them.

Hate to get down and dirty on this thread, but does anyone remember a bookie who operated in the areas you mention, name of George Middleton. This was in the 50's mind. It's not like he owed me money or anything, I just wondered.

Does anyone remember the little shop at the toll bar at the bottom of Parkside Road.

It was run by a Mrs Hoyland who had a son Barry.

On our way to Hillsborough County School we would buy 'little Imps' or Sherberts from there.

There was also a bread shop higher up the road which was turned into a hauirdressers later on.

As kids we would buy penny loaves which were miniature loaves.

Does anyone else remember these places

Happy days!

Does anyone remember Madge Midgeley's corner shop on Penistone Road and Broughton Road.

There was a girl called Wendy Broadley who was nicknamed 'Whisper' who lived in the same yard.

I often wondered whatever happened to her?

Happy days!

Can anyone help me with the names of the families who lived in Anlaby Street in th early 60s. Looking for a lady called Norma i think may have been married to Bernard. She had a sister called Dolores? They originally came from the Wybourn area. Not holding my breath too much on this one but you never know.

Does anyone remember the little shop at the toll bar at the bottom of Parkside Road.

It was run by a Mrs Hoyland who had a son Barry.

On our way to Hillsborough County School we would buy 'little Imps' or Sherberts from there.

There was also a bread shop higher up the road which was turned into a hauirdressers later on.

As kids we would buy penny loaves which were miniature loaves.

Does anyone else remember these places

Happy days!

I too remember the shop half way up Parkside Rd,we used to spend our milk money on tea cakes,also the one at the bottom.

All the railings up Parkside Rd were taken down for the war effort.

I used to go to the nursery just up from the park-keepers lodge, at the Penistone Rd end.

A prefabricated building .I think they put you there if your mother was working in the factories.

I have a photo of my mother in front of the band shell taken about 1930

Sweetdexter

Don't I know you?

Was it your cat that use to pee in our entry?

PopT