The old houses off Penistone rd

Oh never mind...i dont always like to drag old threads up but thought i remembered mentioning it somewhere else...just remembered someone else...Wayne and Richard Dawson one of them got knocked down cant remeber which one but he ran straight down his "entry" and straight onto the rd without looking i can rember the ambulance coming. They lived on grant rd i think though i recall they were really popular i fancied wayne the older one!

Happy days...:)

What yr was the road construction done on Penistone rd, saw the Bamforth area on pic's Sheffield ,what a change since I left in 47, if i came back today i would be completly lost

!

Unregistered

The house on the corner on the picture you posted for yonks was our local chip shop.

I remember just after the war they couldn't get fat to cook with and so they used Whale Oil, it was disgusting and it didn't last long none but the brave would eat their fchips cooked in it.

Across the road on the other corner was a greegrocers. He used a horse and cart to fetch his vegetables when I was a kid.

At the end of the day he used to stable the horse in a stable near the end of Winster Road next to the bed and breafast accomodation place which fronts onto Penistone Road today.

We would beg a ride up to the stable and help to feed the horse and bed him down for the night.

Does anyone have any other photos of the surrounding streets of that area, I would love to see them they evoke such memories over here in NZ.

Happy Days!

I lived on Winster road off Parkside Rd. and most of my school mates lived on Grant Rd,Dutton Rd, Lofthouse rd. etc. my Mother workled at Bassetts on Beulah rd.

My schoolfriends were David Hunston,Graham Buckingham,Walt McReath,I knew a lad on Lofthouse called Michael or David Owen. I knew people like Barry boulby. spent some terrific times between 1955/1967.

Incidentally my name is Roy Turton with Brothers Michael,Terry,Tony

unregistered

Thanks for another photo, I could go right through it remembering the various shops etc.

What a memory rush.

Happy Days!

Oh never mind...i dont always like to drag old threads up but thought i remembered mentioning it somewhere else...just remembered someone else...Wayne and Richard Dawson one of them got knocked down cant remeber which one but he ran straight down his "entry" and straight onto the rd without looking i can rember the ambulance coming. They lived on grant rd i think though i recall they were really popular i fancied wayne the older one!

Rachylou,wayne and richard lived on Dutton Road near the top,almost opposite Grant Rd,i'm wayne and richard's uncle.

I was part of the team who switched the water mains off for that area before they demolished it all. I remember them making Threads there, the wrecked houses were perfect for a war/disaster scene.

Hi Dozey thnks for that hope they are both ok? yes thats right i still get the road names the wrong way round....

I was part of the team who switched the water mains off for that area before they demolished it all. I remember them making Threads there, the wrecked houses were perfect for a war/disaster scene.

Never knew the place was a scene for Threads...The film crew came to our school..(Hillsborough) too...we had to play in the playground as normal while they were filming...i was never in it but saw some familiar faces.

ok ...names have been coming back to me for the past couple of days so here's some i can remember...

Anita and Debra Horne

Samantha and Denise Robinson

Jason and Joanne Gregory

Michael Cheetham and siblings

Amanda Mettham

Jane Walton

My cousins Julie and Darren Bloodworth

John and David Mc'clean

Yvonne and Barrie poulten

Wayne and Richard Dawson

Tina and Stephanie Nash

and of course the ever so lovely...

Rachael and Lesley Marsh...

Ive only listed the people that i know the surnames i know a few more but only the first name so if anyone remembers anymore please add them.:)