The old houses off Penistone rd

Sweetdexter

Don't I know you?

Was it your cat that use to pee in our entry?

PopT

Naw, you must be thinking of someone else

Does anyone remember the little shop at the toll bar at the bottom of Parkside Road.

It was run by a Mrs Hoyland who had a son Barry.

On our way to Hillsborough County School we would buy 'little Imps' or Sherberts from there.

There was also a bread shop higher up the road which was turned into a hauirdressers later on.

As kids we would buy penny loaves which were miniature loaves.

Does anyone else remember these places

Happy days!

The bread shop you refer to was run by Mrs Woods and we used to get odds and sods from there, It was grocery shop situated betweenbarkers place cul de sac and Parkside Rd, we could get things on the "strap" there until pay day

Does anyone remember attending the old school clinic on Broughton Road.

I was given bottles of Cod Liver Oil and tubs of Malt to take and I hated the stuff.

We used to play in the woods at the side of there until we were chased off by old man Trickett.

Happy Days!

Does anyone remember attending the old school clinic on Broughton Road.

I was given bottles of Cod Liver Oil and tubs of Malt to take and I hated the stuff.

We used to play in the woods at the side of there until we were chased off by old man Trickett.

Happy Days!

I remember getting the Cold Liver oil and Orange juice from the building at the top end of the park, what I believe is now the library

i remember thebroughton road clinic very well and the cod liver oil,plus of course the nit nurse..i also remember being chased by old man tricket in the early 50s

Does anyone remember Mrs Palins papershop between Parkside Rd and winster Rd? on Penistone Rd. Iwas lead to believe the famous Michael Palin was related to her

Hi Arrodbo

I do remember the paper shop.

I believe it is now a B&B place.

Do you remember David Duncan who lived across the road on Penistone Road

I wondered how he was fairing?

He'd be about 67-68 years old now.

Happy Days!

Roy, I lived in the same yard as you and your brothers as well as your mom and dad.

I remember, ( I think) running my go-kart into the wall outside your house, I think if my dad had made it out of thicker gauge steel I would have ended up in the Don.

Happy days. Richard Gagen. My dads still living there safe and well!

Winster

Do you remember the stable on Winster Road?

It was about 100 yards from the Penistone Road end on the left hand side.

The man at the Fruit & Veg shop at the corner of Grant Road and Beulah Road opposite to the old chip shop used to keep his horse there.

Happy Days!

Winster

Do you remember the stable on Winster Road?

It was about 100 yards from the Penistone Road end on the left hand side.

The man at the Fruit & Veg shop at the corner of Grant Road and Beulah Road opposite to the old chip shop used to keep his horse there.

Happy Days!

Hi PopT,As I remember it the shop was on the corner of Dutton and Penistone.

It was old man Nixon or Dixon had the Greengrocers.

I did hear he had a heart attack or stroke coming back from the market with his produce, his horse brought him all the way home.

He also had one of those 2 wheel traps with a little door at the back.

I remember going for a ride in it.

I also took a hair out of the horses tail to wrap around a wart.

I think in later years Mr Hayes used the same stable to keep a car he had. This would be around 1957.

Nixon's daughter moved into the house where we used to live after we moved onto the Cross

Sweetdexter

I do remember Nellie Nixon who ran that Greengrocers at the end of Dutton Road, she was a formidable lady but I never did get a ride on their cart.

I also remember the Worh brothers opening a Greengrocers on the opposite corner.

From there they ran a mobile shop which covered the 'new' estates at Parson Cross and other areas.

Does anyone remember the mobile shop signwritten,

'The Barrow Boy From Over The Hungry Hill'?

Happy Days!

Does anyone remember a local character Harry Barker.

He was about 25 stone in weight and drank Guiness by the crate full every night in the Crown pub near the Dog Track.

Happy days!

I remember Harry Barker! I think he lived on Harewood and used to go drinking with my dad.