The old houses off Penistone rd

ok ...names have been coming back to me for the past couple of days so here's some i can remember...

Anita and Debra Horne

Samantha and Denise Robinson

Jason and Joanne Gregory

Michael Cheetham and siblings

Amanda Mettham

Jane Walton

My cousins Julie and Darren Bloodworth

John and David Mc'clean

Yvonne and Barrie poulten

Wayne and Richard Dawson

Tina and Stephanie Nash

and of course the ever so lovely...

Rachael and Lesley Marsh...

Ive only listed the people that i know the surnames i know a few more but only the first name so if anyone remembers anymore please add them.:)

You forgot Paula Dawson,Wayne and Richard's sister.;)

You forgot Paula Dawson,Wayne and Richard's sister.;)

Gosh....didn't realise they had a sister...was she older or younger?

Unregistered

The house on the corner on the picture you posted for yonks was our local chip shop.QUOTE]

Mine too! Dick Jow had it when I was a kid, and later it was taken over by Dennis and Annie Davenport (who used to have the "front window" shop on Dutton Road opposite the end of Grant Road.

There was also Fryer's (appropriately named) chip shop between the hardware shop and the butchers on Penistone Road opposite the end of Parkside Road, but I always prefered Dick Jow's. He did the best fishcakes that I've ever tasted.

We used to pinch Tizer bottles from the Tizer factory opposite the chip 'ole and take them back to buy four pennyworth of chips from Dick's.

Happy days!

Remember Fryers Chip shop. I went to Hillsborough school with her grandaughter, Christine Connelly. I joined the navy with a lad from Beulah Road called Dave Hunstone. Another one from that area was Stuart Rhodes.

Just been and bought a book called owlerton camera...its got some great pictures in it of our old streets.

I also bought Hillsborough camera aswell' again some great pictures of how hillsboro used to be like.......aah memories:)

Just been and bought a book called owlerton camera...its got some great pictures in it of our old streets.

I also bought Hillsborough camera aswell' again some great pictures of how hillsboro used to be like.......aah memories:)

Hi Rachylou. Where are these books available from - W H Smith? Would like to see some old photos of the area. My family once owned Owlerton Bridge Works which was a forge on the corner of Penistone Rd & Liversey - just near the dog track. Mind you, it was in the early 1860's. Nevertheless, it would still be interesting to see the layout of houses in the area as some may well have been there around this time.

Cheers, Jass

yes...got the books from wh smith's there are quite a collection of all different parts of sheffield. their priced at £7.99 each or you can buy them direct from the author over the internet for £6.00 each...i coudn't wait! His name is J R wrigley and he lives at ecclesfield' if you type the book name into your search engine his page will come up for more details.

They are worth getting...i cant stop looking at them only got them today Think i'm going through a .....missing my childhood phase st the moment, for some unknown reason!!!:)

Gosh....didn't realise they had a sister...was she older or younger?

She is the youngest of the three,i think she is around 35 years old.

She is the youngest of the three,i think she is around 35 years old.

Mmmmm...that makes her the same age as me so its strange i dont remember her.

or maybe i blocked the memory out of her because she was horrible to me!!!:hihi: :hihi:

Hi Royal Regular

The shop you mentioned opposite the end of Grant Road used to be owned by a lady whose married name I forget but her brother Cyril Pont used to sit in a wheelchair outside the shop.

He was a victim of the WW1 where he lost both of his legs.

He was blown up by the same shell as my uncle who lost one of his legs.

I remember them both vividly from when I was a kid.

I also remember some of the kids Godfrey Hayes, Ken hunt, Gordon Pearce, Barry Swanstone, Walter Staniland, Bob Dinsdale, Keith Mclean, Walter Staniland, Kenneth Horne,Joe Sanderson, Arthur, Lawrence & Ruth Wright, Ann & Roy Pollard, Johnny Crapper, David Tomson, Keith & BrianTaylor, George Savage, Malcolm Shirley, Sheila Leach, Brian Jones, Gordon Teanby, Brian & Barry Blackburn, Ken Youle, Randy, George & Maria Barthomlew, Wendy & Roy Broadley, David Douthwaite, Ronnie & Raymond Cole, Eden, Dougie & Arthur Hague, The Glover boys, Peter Timmins, Michael Heath, Pat, Faith & Michael Slater, Fred, John, & Allen Harrison, Barry Boulby, The Trickets, David Duncan, Reggie Mathewson, Barry Radcliffe, Stanley McCreath, Peter Cooper.Eric Ramsden,Kenneth & Carol Hirst, Chris Softley, Kieth Mclean, Jack Shaw.

There are more but I cannot place the names, I would love to hear how they all faired in life.

They were a great set of kids playing street games and up to all sorts of antics, a real lively bunch.

Happy Days!

Hi Royal Regular

The shop you mentioned opposite the end of Grant Road used to be owned by a lady whose married name I forget but her brother Cyril Pont used to sit in a wheelchair outside the shop.

He was a victim of the WW1 where he lost both of his legs.

He was blown up by the same shell as my uncle who lost one of his legs.

I remember them both vividly from when I was a kid.

I also remember some of the kids Godfrey Hayes, Ken hunt, Gordon Pearce, Barry Swanstone, Walter Staniland, Bob Dinsdale, Keith Mclean, Walter Staniland, Kenneth Horne,Joe Sanderson, Arthur, Lawrence & Ruth Wright, Ann & Roy Pollard, Johnny Crapper, David Tomson, Keith & BrianTaylor, George Savage, Malcolm Shirley, Sheila Leach, Brian Jones, Gordon Teanby, Brian & Barry Blackburn, Ken Youle, Randy, George & Maria Barthomlew, Wendy & Roy Broadley, David Douthwaite, Ronnie & Raymond Cole, Eden, Dougie & Arthur Hague, The Glover boys, Peter Timmins, Michael Heath, Pat, Faith & Michael Slater, Fred, John, & Allen Harrison, Barry Boulby, The Trickets, David Duncan, Reggie Mathewson, Barry Radcliffe, Stanley McCreath, Peter Cooper.Eric Ramsden,Kenneth & Carol Hirst, Chris Softley, Kieth Mclean, Jack Shaw.

There are more but I cannot place the names, I would love to hear how they all faired in life.

They were a great set of kids playing street games and up to all sorts of antics, a real lively bunch.

Happy Days!

my mother told me Jimmy Pont (WW1 casualty) used to hoist me up on his lap.

I can still smell the shop now .

A mixture of Malt Vinegar, Bundles of kindling, camphor and paraffin

yes...got the books from wh smith's there are quite a collection of all different parts of sheffield. their priced at £7.99 each or you can buy them direct from the author over the internet for £6.00 each...i coudn't wait! His name is J R wrigley and he lives at ecclesfield' if you type the book name into your search engine his page will come up for more details.

They are worth getting...i cant stop looking at them only got them today Think i'm going through a .....missing my childhood phase st the moment, for some unknown reason!!!:)

Thanks for the info - I can add some of these to my Christmas wish list!!!

Cheers, Jass