Homemade Sign Complains About 'Commuters' Who Park Outside People's Houses S11

It’s difficult to come home with heavy shopping and be unable to park nearby.  I accept there will usually be match day parking - I live in Hillsborough - but in the 20 years I’ve lived there the situation on non match days has become worse.   I like Tramlines, I know 

it’s not commuters, it’s park runners, but mainly people from the street that crosses ours.  Sometimes the cars are left for days.  I know its legal, but I’m on the point of applying for a disabled space - I have a blue badge.  

• Like 1

I know where that car is parked.  I don’t believe there’s a huge problem with commuters parking in that area.  However, there is a problem with atrocious parking (as in most other areas in Sheffield).  Parking around junctions is common and there are too many people that don’t appear to even attempt to park properly and just dump their car inconsiderately.  It is ridiculous to except a parking space to kept free for the owners on a street of terraced houses.  It’s not ridiculous to expect considerate parking though. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, redruby said:

I know where that car is parked.  I don’t believe there’s a huge problem with commuters parking in that area.  However, there is a problem with atrocious parking (as in most other areas in Sheffield).  Parking around junctions is common and there are too many people that don’t appear to even attempt to park properly and just dump their car inconsiderately.  It is ridiculous to except a parking space to kept free for the owners on a street of terraced houses.  It’s not ridiculous to expect considerate parking though. 

Spot on.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

Personally I found it funny.

I can see both sides though, however unless you have an allocated parking space then people can park wherever they want, as long as it's legal.

Although saying that, the fact that someone can park on your driveway and it's not classed as a criminal act is utterly ludicrous.

I’d just park across my drive entrance and refuse to let the muppet out, if they damaged my car deliberately, this is a criminal act.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

I’d just park across my drive entrance and refuse to let the muppet out, if they damaged my car deliberately, this is a criminal act.

"Refusing to let the muppet out" would doubly be a criminal offence - it's obstructing the highway (Highways Act 1980), and likely violates POFA 2012, which banned clamping and similar actions on private land.

In the UK, it is illegal for someone to block your driveway without permission. If someone parks their car in a way that obstructs your access to or from your property, they can be held liable for causing an obstruction. This means that you have the right to take action and have the vehicle towed away at the owner’s expense.

The legal implications and consequences of blocking someone’s driveway can be quite severe. Not only can the person responsible face fines and penalties, but they may also receive points on their driving record. So if you find yourself with a blocked driveway, remember that you have rights and it is within your power to get the offending vehicle removed legally

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

In the UK, it is illegal for someone to block your driveway without permission. If someone parks their car in a way that obstructs your access to or from your property, they can be held liable for causing an obstruction. This means that you have the right to take action and have the vehicle towed away at the owner’s expense.

The legal implications and consequences of blocking someone’s driveway can be quite severe. Not only can the person responsible face fines and penalties, but they may also receive points on their driving record. So if you find yourself with a blocked driveway, remember that you have rights and it is within your power to get the offending vehicle removed legally

All depends where you do your copying and pasting from.

Is it illegal for someone to park on your driveway?

A strange legal loophole means anyone can park on your driveway - and there's not much you can do about it.

There have been a number of cases in the UK where homeowners have been stuck with a stranger's car on their driveway, only to be told neither police nor local authorities have the power to move it.

In the instance of a stranger parking on your driveway, an issue arises when the line between criminal and civil law is blurred.

If a car is parked on a public road and it's blocking your driveway, local authorities certainly have the power to issue a fine.

But once the car moves on to your drive, it's technically on private property - and local councils have no jurisdiction.

Councils are required to remove abandoned cars from both public and private property, but if the motor in question is taxed, insured, has a valid MOT and isn't in a dangerous condition, they are unlikely to touch it on private land.

Police will acknowledge the car is technically trespassing, but they will classify it as a civil offence, dropping it far down their priority list and meaning you would need an eviction notice from the courts.

I suupose if you were creative and a little annoyed you could utilise some wheel skates, move it off your property into the middle of the road and hopefully the air won't mysteriously escape the tires while this is happening 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dave_the_m said:

"Refusing to let the muppet out" would doubly be a criminal offence - it's obstructing the highway (Highways Act 1980), and likely violates POFA 2012, which banned clamping and similar actions on private land.

Well as nothing legal can be done, a smack in the mouth often offends. 😉

• Haha 2

Sometimes I have to walk up to a quarter of a mile because it's the nearest I can park, but do I object?  No.  You can park up legally anywhere but the bloke over the road sounds off if someone parks legally outside his house.