Homemade Sign Complains About 'Commuters' Who Park Outside People's Houses S11

3 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

All depends where you do your copying and pasting from.

Is it illegal for someone to park on your driveway?

A strange legal loophole means anyone can park on your driveway - and there's not much you can do about it.

There have been a number of cases in the UK where homeowners have been stuck with a stranger's car on their driveway, only to be told neither police nor local authorities have the power to move it.

In the instance of a stranger parking on your driveway, an issue arises when the line between criminal and civil law is blurred.

If a car is parked on a public road and it's blocking your driveway, local authorities certainly have the power to issue a fine.

But once the car moves on to your drive, it's technically on private property - and local councils have no jurisdiction.

Councils are required to remove abandoned cars from both public and private property, but if the motor in question is taxed, insured, has a valid MOT and isn't in a dangerous condition, they are unlikely to touch it on private land.

Police will acknowledge the car is technically trespassing, but they will classify it as a civil offence, dropping it far down their priority list and meaning you would need an eviction notice from the courts.

I'll still go with 'If you find yourself with a blocked driveway, remember that you have rights and it is within your power to get the offending vehicle removed legally' & arrange to have the vehicle legally towed away.  

Me the police & the other party can argue the toss later.  Either way, the third  patty is going to find themselves with the inconvenience of vehicle recovery. 

6 hours ago, dave_the_m said:

"Refusing to let the muppet out" would doubly be a criminal offence - it's obstructing the highway (Highways Act 1980), and likely violates POFA 2012, which banned clamping and similar actions on private land.

I actually once was stopped as I got out of my car. I'd parked across the drive entrance/dropped kerb. My sister's car, which I was repairing was on the drive. 

Plod started gabbing about how I've blocked someone's drive and he'd give me a ticket if I didn't move. Went rather sheepish when I told him it was my drive, outside my house & the car on the drive was immobile therefore wouldn't be joining the carriageway. :hihi:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, dave_the_m said:

"Refusing to let the muppet out" would doubly be a criminal offence - it's obstructing the highway (Highways Act 1980), and likely violates POFA 2012, which banned clamping and similar actions on private land.

Ironically, parking on someone's driveway could be construed as  blocking their driveway, but apparently it's not an offence. :loopy:  :D 

12 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

All depends where you do your copying and pasting from.

Is it illegal for someone to park on your driveway?

A strange legal loophole means anyone can park on your driveway - and there's not much you can do about it.

There have been a number of cases in the UK where homeowners have been stuck with a stranger's car on their driveway, only to be told neither police nor local authorities have the power to move it.

In the instance of a stranger parking on your driveway, an issue arises when the line between criminal and civil law is blurred.

If a car is parked on a public road and it's blocking your driveway, local authorities certainly have the power to issue a fine.

But once the car moves on to your drive, it's technically on private property - and local councils have no jurisdiction.

Councils are required to remove abandoned cars from both public and private property, but if the motor in question is taxed, insured, has a valid MOT and isn't in a dangerous condition, they are unlikely to touch it on private land.

Police will acknowledge the car is technically trespassing, but they will classify it as a civil offence, dropping it far down their priority list and meaning you would need an eviction notice from the courts.

Could the owner of the drive start charging a fee to those parking there or a fine for unauthorised parking or overstaying? Like parking companies do for car parks on private land?

We have next door neighbours who think that they can do anything they wish, because in their words they are ‘good neighbours’. They only have the one car, but never park in front of their drive, they prefer to get as close to ours as possible, making it impossible to access our car boot without moving the car. But what the heck? if however they consider parking directly in or in front of our drive they will get more than they bargained for.

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

We have next door neighbours who think that they can do anything they wish, because in their words they are ‘good neighbours’. They only have the one car, but never park in front of their drive, they prefer to get as close to ours as possible, making it impossible to access our car boot without moving the car. But what the heck? if however they consider parking directly in or in front of our drive they will get more than they bargained for.

There's a guy on the next street, which is a bus lane. Refuses to park on his driveway (big enough for 3 cars, he has 1). He tries to park to make it difficult for buses to get through as there's a bus stop outside his house and the council said no when he asked them to remove it. 

He seems to think that if it gets difficult for buses that they'll re-route it.

What I don’t get about these people that choose to park inconsiderately but don’t need to is, are they not concerned about their vehicle getting damaged (accidentally or deliberately vandalised through annoying people)?  Do they want a confrontation or an insurance claim or something?  Odd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redruby said:

What I don’t get about these people that choose to park inconsiderately but don’t need to is, are they not concerned about their vehicle getting damaged (accidentally or deliberately vandalised through annoying people)?  Do they want a confrontation or an insurance claim or something?  Odd.

Never underestimate the arrogance of some car drivers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geared said:

Never underestimate the arrogance of some car drivers

Stupidity not arrogance, how about the ones that require a complete eclipse of the moon for them to switch their lights on, probably think that they’re saving electricity, but is it worth dying for when they don’t even signal?

• Like 2