Winter Weather 2023/2024

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

That was likely not a planned rolling blackout though, because as said there were zero of those.

Local power cuts can happen at any time, usually due to equipment failure, even in the summer.

We had a mare last year. The substation near us was tripping out so a huge generator was installed across out road. 

Thing Is it kept running out of diesel so the power would go out 🙄

I agree rolling blackouts are extremely unlikely though. 

1 hour ago, rogets said:

Your an absolute psycho, are you a millwall suppporter?

If that kind of winter comes back or the ones back in the 80s come back I tell you I am taking serious steps for my own safety.

If those winters come back I aint moving and I would advise anyone else, do not leave the house.

Get you food delivered from Asda or whatever shop you use

STAY AT HOME

I've certainly taken your advice Rogets.

I've just stocked up on £180 worth of provisions from ASDA.

I'm going back tomorrow for 3 months supply of toilet rolls.

There's no way I will be panic buying next month!

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

That was likely not a planned rolling blackout though, because as said there were zero of those.

Local power cuts can happen at any time, usually due to equipment failure, even in the summer.

This is true, but as investment in our infrastructure declines because of 'cuts' etc, equipment is likely to fail more often, not be replaced or upgraded sufficiently etc.

It's also no secret that with the demise of nuclear power in the drive to become carbon neutral, our capacity to generate electricity is not yet up to the mark, and there is very little margin to cope with unexpected   occurrences and high demand.  

A harsh winter putting extra demand on the system may yet lead to blackouts. 

Just now, Anna B said:

This is true, but as investment in our infrastructure declines because of 'cuts' etc, equipment is likely to fail more often, not be replaced or upgraded sufficiently etc.

It's also no secret that with the demise of nuclear power in the drive to become carbon neutral, our capacity to generate electricity is not yet up to the mark, and there is very little margin to cope with unexpected   occurrences and high demand.  

Neoliberalism causes it . 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

I don't quite understand what you are on about - just thinking of the power cuts I have suffered in, say, the past 10 years, I can say they have been very few and far between, and short.

The only times I remember when there were planned 'blackouts' go back way before then, when we were reliant on coal-fired power stations,and a certain union called regular strikes in winter. Admittedly, when I was working in the steel industry - some 20+ plus years ago - we had planned production  shut-downs - but they were price-driven,  as the price per KW was pushed way above one which made use uneconomical, but these were  communicated way in advance.

I obviously don't know if this still happens, but suspect they do.

11 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I don't quite understand what you are on about - just thinking of the power cuts I have suffered in, say, the past 10 years, I can say they have been very few and far between, and short.

The only times I remember when there were planned 'blackouts' go back way before then, when we were reliant on coal-fired power stations,and a certain union called regular strikes in winter. Admittedly, when I was working in the steel industry - some 20+ plus years ago - we had planned production  shut-downs - but they were price-driven,  as the price per KW was pushed way above one which made use uneconomical, but these were  communicated way in advance.

I obviously don't know if this still happens, but suspect they do.

She is just scaremongering as per. Last winter there were cold snaps. Number of rolling blackouts for domestic customers = zero.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...