19 Billion In Unclaimed Benefits!

18 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

So that means the Tories have made 19 billion available to claim. Thought they were evil . 

Offering something then snatching it away by making it virtually impossible to get is pretty nasty in my book.

But then that's nothing new with most Tory promises...

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Offering something then snatching it away by making it virtually impossible to get is pretty nasty in my book.

I guess we can look forward to Labour throwing our cash around like they're in a strip club on cocaine 

7 minutes ago, Anna B said:

If it’s there to claim, it’s there . Maybe some people are not going through the right process.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anna B said:

As far as I'm aware there is very little else a carer can claim.

Certainly not Universal Credit, as you are not available for work.

All the other things you mention are simply guesswork on your behalf. I'm sure someone who is caring for a relative / disabled person will let us know the facts.

I don't know if it's still the case, but at one time the £70 carers allowance was taken directly from the cared for's benefits. I don't know if that's still the case as the rules change all the time, and rarely for the better.  But ask any fulltime carer, and they will tell you that as well as being one of the hardest jobs there is, it's also a one way street to penury.

It's disgraceful actually.

No, it's not "guess work" Anna.

It's factual information of the potential options available to carers based on a range of official sources including the local Carer service, authority, the Citizens Advice website and the government's own website.  

Yes of course there are caps and limits and restrictions based on what people's other income sources are, but let's not pretend additional top-ups don't exist.  

Now forgive me for taking those sources over one of your many cherry picked anecdotes or speculative opinion.  The information is all out there for those who can be bothered to do a three second Google search. It's even stated clearly on Carers UK's own website and the government's own website.  

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, cressida said:

Went to Sorrento,  have you taken the Amalfi coast run - a bit like the Snake Pass I would imagine.

I'm off to see Pompeii today

Then heading to Messina in Sicily tomorrow for a few days

And then to the Island of Capri

Italy is beautiful and the food is incredible ❤️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

I'm off to see Pompeii today

Then heading to Messina in Sicily tomorrow for a few days

And then to the Island of Capri

Italy is beautiful and the food is incredible ❤️

Yes I've heard that the Italian restaurant just off Staniforth Road is very authentic too....

• Haha 1

On 12/07/2023 at 01:20, ECCOnoob said:

No, it's not "guess work" Anna.

It's factual information of the potential options available to carers based on a range of official sources including the local Carer service, authority, the Citizens Advice website and the government's own website.  

Yes of course there are caps and limits and restrictions based on what people's other income sources are, but let's not pretend additional top-ups don't exist.  

Now forgive me for taking those sources over one of your many cherry picked anecdotes or speculative opinion.  The information is all out there for those who can be bothered to do a three second Google search. It's even stated clearly on Carers UK's own website and the government's own website.  

Yet still 18 Billion goes unclaimed, so how do you explain that? 

Are you saying it's not needed? 

Really?

7 million children are now living in poverty according to the BBC. We have foodbanks on every corner. People can't afford their rent and are in danger of being made homeless, etc... austerity, cost of living crisis... 

Something is going wrong somewhere...

I stand buy what I said. The rigmarole you have to go through to get it far outstrips what is necessary and is intended to make it almost impossible to get for some needy people. 

Why do you think the Citizens Advice bureau and other help now have such long waiting lists?

Edited by Anna B