When And Why Is It Racist To Abbreviate A Background .

4 hours ago, butlers said:

A 19year olds private msg to a friend  about someone tangential to his life  us not the same as your work superior's  directly addressing ,you ,they hold power over you

How about addressing your work superior in public despite been given a privileged position which you abused by repeatedly breaking the rules

aka Tweeting to the world that your national coach is a w******r when you are captain 

5 hours ago, sibon said:

I'm not suggesting otherwise. I think Rafiq has done an excellent job in exposing the problems specifically at Yorkshire, but also in cricket in general. 

I do think he should have checked his own twitter account though. Leaving posts like those just give ammunition to those who would like to silence him.

Anyway, as Rafiq himself said yesterday, those who apologise deserve a second chance. I think he's correct.

I find it strange that when the scandal first hit the news he seemed intent on going for the throat; everyone was a racist, the club and cricket in general was corrupt, people needed to step down and so on. Then his tone since giving evidence to MP's has become more humble, pointing out that people can change and everyone should have a chance. I think he already knew he'd been rumbled about his past before it hit the press and was toning down his stance before his anti Semitism was exposed so he wouldn't appear so hypocritical with his own apologies.

If he can claim he has changed, learnt his lesson over the years and issued an apology, then by that logic he should accept the same limp apology when offered it by the people who were racist to him.

27 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

I find it strange that when the scandal first hit the news he seemed intent on going for the throat; everyone was a racist, the club and cricket in general was corrupt, people needed to step down and so on. Then his tone since giving evidence to MP's has become more humble, pointing out that people can change and everyone should have a chance. I think he already knew he'd been rumbled about his past before it hit the press and was toning down his stance before his anti Semitism was exposed so he wouldn't appear so hypocritical with his own apologies.

If he can claim he has changed, learnt his lesson over the years and issued an apology, then by that logic he should accept the same limp apology when offered it by the people who were racist to him.

:thumbsup:

8 hours ago, sheffbag said:

How about addressing your work superior in public despite been given a privileged position which you abused by repeatedly breaking the rules

aka Tweeting to the world that your national coach is a w******r when you are captain 

8 hours ago, butlers said:

I presume this is about ,the famous Englishman Kevin Peiterson

Sorry to disappoint you but no, this is about he now ‘famous’ Englishman  Azeem Rafiq. Who, when he was captain of England u19 (and the first Asian player to be so) got dropped because he repeatedly broke mid week curfews.

his response was to go on Twitter and tell the whole world that he thought the England U19 coach (effectively his boss) was a w*****r

Edited by sheffbag

8 hours ago, the_bloke said:

I think that there is a distinction to be made between single, historical incidents and repeated bad behaviour.

I imagine that most of us have things we've said, or written that we regret. What really matters is how we conduct ourselves in real life.  

I think apologies are fine if they are meant and if they are supported by the person's general conduct. They aren't fine as a device to try to get out of trouble.

There are two good examples from cricket this week. Jack Brooks has been reprimanded by Somerset for some ill advised language. That's a correct decision for a single mistake. Alex Hales is about to find his career in danger for a series of  "indiscretions". There's a world of difference between the two cases.

When I saw and heard the cricketer on TV I thought this guy is to good to be true although feeling bad about the treatment he says he has received , now my gut feeling is looking accurate , All of us say and do things we later regret especially when we are young and this lad is no different in fact he has been balled a googly.

2 hours ago, ukdobby said:

Have seen the Hales photo,so what it’s a fancy dress party,remember Harry dressed as a Nazi,what next women want to dress as a pirate can’t draw a beard on.

Some of the women I've been involved with wouldn't have to draw one on 😬