When And Why Is It Racist To Abbreviate A Background .

3 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Few observations that don’t really strengthen Rafiqs case. Bear in mind that if the allegations are true what he has said then he deserves all the support and those culpable , if proven, deserve all the punishment but

He has declared that Alex Hales named his dog Kevin because it was black 

has has named David Byas in his witness statement even though Byas was never at the club  and never interacted with Rafiq while Rafiq was there but he named him ‘because he was known to use racist language’. 
let’s not forget there is a team in Australia named p##I power and it is emblazoned on their shirts

Didn't see the dog thing, and that does read a bit odd.  Kevin? Wait till he finds out Aggers named his dog (a spanial I think) Tino, after Tino Best. I hope it's a spanial anyway.

Asians in Australia either don't mind the word as much or have given up fighting it - I understand its much less of issue there. But the Australians haven't got a word they won't shorten.

4 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Didn't see the dog thing, and that does read a bit odd.  Kevin? Wait till he finds out Aggers named his dog (a spanial I think) Tino, after Tino Best. I hope it's a spanial anyway.

Asians in Australia either don't mind the word as much or have given up fighting it - I understand its much less of issue there. But the Australians haven't got a word they won't shorten.

I’m sure Mr Hart and Mr Durrant hate their parents right now. 

Not a cricket fan but was told tonight this bloke was at Yorkshire CC , left Yorkshire CC , then went back.  Why if it was as bad as he says ? And why wait years to bring it all up ?

7 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Not a cricket fan but was told tonight this bloke was at Yorkshire CC , left Yorkshire CC , then went back.  Why if it was as bad as he says ? And why wait years to bring it all up ?

I guess you have to be in his situation to know why he didn't bring it up, what the repercussions of that might be, what his mental state was, before being so dismissive.

I've never been a vistim of instituionalised racist abuse and bullying, but I would assume that it's nowhere near as simple as just "bring it all up".

Why don't victims of bullying at school, or victims of domestic violence just "bring it all up"? Why if it's so bad do they go back home or to school?

Because it's way more complicated than those of us on the outside can imagine.

Was it complicated when he decided to call the National u19 coach a "wan***" on Twitter, while he was the captain of the team because he got dropped for repeatedly breaking curfews?

Edited by sheffbag

8 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Different management.

9 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Because if you go back in time, laws and societal rules were different. We are judging what hapened 10/20/30 years ago, against todays standards. Its totally barking.

Again, not disputing what may or may not have happened (until proven it is allegation only) and as repeated earlier i hope he gets the support he needs and the punishment others deserve if proven but to say he was held back at Yorkshire despite

First player of Asian descent to captain any England side (u15) while a member of the Yorkshire academy

Was given special dispensation to play for Yorkshire as he wasnt registered as a domestic player

First player of Asian descent to captain Yorkshire

Yorkshire's youngest captain (at the time)

1 hour ago, sheffbag said:

Again, not disputing what may or may not have happened (until proven it is allegation only) and as repeated earlier i hope he gets the support he needs and the punishment others deserve if proven but to say he was held back at Yorkshire despite

Assuming it did happen, what would the sentance have been for the guilty party?

I must admit I haven’t seen every detail of this case but what I will say is if it’s true that Rafiq was a good friend of Gary Ballance (GB went to his wedding apparently and they roomed together) then I’d be very surprised if things said between them were meant to be hurtful in any way, its always a huge part of any group of close friends that there will be ribbing, name calling and general pee taking, I personally have done this and take zero offence to what’s said in return. For one of those friends to then use this as grounds to blacken the name of these people is a total betrayal of that friendship and camaraderie, whilst the words used are unacceptable, we all use unsavoury terms amongst trusted companions.

Like I said I haven’t seen the full transcript but that’s my view on the Balance/Rafiq part of it.

There’s a photo doing the rounds showing two Pakistani cricketers grinning from ear to ear, both holding some kind of banknote and proudly emblazoned on their shirts is a logo saying P*** Power, so the term is ok when it suits them.