When And Why Is It Racist To Abbreviate A Background .

2 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Sadly todays society has been taken over by powder puffs, I have tried to think of a word that would better describe it but it would not be allowed on here due to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be careful of your choice of words Cuttsie...

Certain members of society may be offended by being called Puffs.

16 minutes ago, Padders said:

Be careful of your choice of words Cuttsie...

Certain members of society may be offended by being called Puffs.

Is puff a banned word in the English language , my Mrs has a powder puff , yesterday puff of wind ruffled my flowing locks . A snake in a Zoo can be called a puff .

4 hours ago, cuttsie said:

You had to be born in Yorkshire to play cricket for them , A good policy .

If football had to follow a similar  rule then the game would be a more level playing field .

Right “cuttsie”.....

Thanks for clearing that up....

20 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Italian - Iti

Argentinian - Argi

Mexican - Mex

Scottish - Scot

Are these offensive?

No, but even when I was a kid I knew the ‘P word’ was offensive, mostly because some people just aimed it at anyone of a certain appearance, regardless of their heritage.

Edited by nikki-red

3 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

No, but even when I was a kid I knew the ‘P word’ was offensive, mostly because it some people just aimed it at anyone of a certain appearance, regardless of their heritage.

I’m in my mid 70’s so never had any contact with people of colour until I left school, however I do recall classing all black people as West Indian, I bet that went down well with black folk from Africa.

Orwell had it figured out!

Corrupt the language. NEWSPEAK!

Gay, which once meant happy. N***o, is still the name of a  color where I live among "people of color", which I'm not even allowed to discuss here. Discrimination in all things was considered a virtue, "street smart" is  now profiling, and "neighborhood watch", once a useful community crime prevention assistant is now racist.

Government spending is now an "investment".

Pull down the statues, rename the streets in case some people are offended.

Their Brave New World, and they are still not happy, lol

Edited by trastrick

5 hours ago, harvey19 said:

When is the use of" unacceptable" words in rap songs going to cause racist anger ?

What is being done to stop it.

Personally I do not listen to rap music but believe the word n is used in them.

Context is everything. There's a long history of oppressed people rehabilitating words used to insult them - that's why black people get away with using the n word. If all white people stop using the n word as an insult for long enough it may become acceptable for them to use it too.

For context of the P word in the UK, here's the examples the OED gives of its usage

1964 Guardian 15 Apr. 8/4 Some big P*** over the water’s got her set up for right trouble.
1969 B. Knox Tallyman v. 94 Ali’s a P***–an’ you know how it goes. P***’s pretty well look all the same to me.
1970 Observer 5 Apr. 3/2 The name of the game is P*** Bashing... Any Asian careless enough to be walking the streets at night is a fool.
1970 Daily Progress (Charlottesville, Va.) 15 Apr. 7-c/2 They attack Asian immigrants, and term this ‘p***-bashing’.
1972 J. Brown Chancer iii. 47 Sergeant Burton and me, we broke in the P*** lodging house.
1973 C. Mullard Black Brit. ii. iv. 40 ‘Hunting the Barney’..a practice that has much in common with present-day ‘P***-bashing’.
1973 M. Amis Rachel Papers 142 Joe, a young and ambitious cook, was fed up to the teeth with cooking steak and chips for the odd P***.
1975 J. Symons Three Pipe Problem v. 36 He wanted to send the n** n**s and the P***s back where they belong, in the jungle.
1976 Times 20 Jan. 12/7 Argument over the precise number of P***-bashers who can dance on the arms of a swastika.
1977 F. Branston Up & Coming Man xii. 126 He let the half [of a house] he owned to a load of P***s to use as a temple.
1977 Daily Tel. 17 Jan. 3/1 ‘P***-busting’ is suddenly a topical phrase in Canada.
1977 Time 12 Dec. 19/3 Bands of front backers, swinging fists and banner staves, have sallied into peaceful demonstrations by Indians and Pakistanis in what are cruelly called ‘P*** bashes’.

As you can see, they all use the word as an insult. That is why the word is considered racist in this country whatever the acceptability of it in Australia or elsewhere.

38 minutes ago, altus said:

Context is everything. There's a long history of oppressed people rehabilitating words used to insult them - that's why black people get away with using the n word. If all white people stop using the n word as an insult for long enough it may become acceptable for them to use it too.

Do you consider it acceptable for white rappers to use the word ?

I appreciate your argument but surely it  causes division if one set of people can use a word and another can't.

46 minutes ago, altus said:

Context is everything. 

For context of the P word in the UK, here's the examples the OED gives of its usage

As you can see, they all use the word as an insult. That is why the word is considered racist in this country whatever the acceptability of it in Australia or elsewhere.

Obviously it is not acceptable to use a certain word if it is meant to insult, be offensive , to intimidate or cause unrest.

7 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Do you consider it acceptable for white rappers to use the word ?

I'm white, so not really in a position to judge. Given the audience for rap music, if they did and it wasn't acceptable I suspect they'd be informed of the fact very strongly.

I appreciate your argument but surely it  causes division if one set of people can use a word and another can't.

Only if the people who can't (perhaps wilfully) fail to understand the reasons why.

Obviously it is not acceptable to use a certain word if it is meant to insult, be offensive , to intimidate or cause unrest.

Intention to insult or not, you can't get away from the history of the word. That is why using it to, for example, refer to a shop run by Asians is problematical - the first people to do so were the also the ones who used it as an insult.