George Floyd- Killed By Police

Message added by Vaati

As per the bottom of the page: POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED. Click 'Report post' or contact us for any content that may breach our terms of use. We will look into the report as soon as possible. We do not support the promotion violence or racist behaviours. Any posts considered in breach of this or other forum rules, will be removed and the poster will be suspended.

6 minutes ago, altus said:

Explain why you think it's ridiculous.

Why would anybody erect statues to convicted criminals? The statues that people are talking about were erected at a a time that people were ignorant to what happened. It doesn't mean the statues are relevant today, but maybe they should be relocated to a place that says this was our horrible racist past, let's make sure it doesn't happen again. I said a couple of times "in my opinion", but you chose to ignore that. 

5 minutes ago, Litotes said:

So the plaque needed changing... as times have changed.

What he did when he did it was accepted - these days it isn't.

What Peter Sutcliffe did, when he did it, was illegal - there is a huge difference between the 2 situations and this spurious argument is irrelevant.

The post was to highlight the absurdity of the "we need the statue to remember" argument.

6 minutes ago, Litotes said:

So the plaque needed changing... as times have changed.

What he did when he did it was accepted - these days it isn't.

What Peter Sutcliffe did, when he did it, was illegal - there is a huge difference between the 2 situations and this spurious argument is irrelevant.

Thanks. You have probably summed it up better than I did. 👍

4 minutes ago, drolnhoj said:

Why would anybody erect statues to convicted criminals? The statues that people are talking about were erected at a a time that people were ignorant to what happened.

The statue of Colston (who died in 1721) was erected in 1895. Slavery was abolished throughout the whole of the British Empire in 1833. The people who erected the statue new exactly what he'd done.

It doesn't mean the statues are relevant today, but maybe they should be relocated to a place that says this was our horrible racist past, let's make sure it doesn't happen again.

I think most people would agree with that. People have been objecting to the statue being moved at all.

I said a couple of times "in my opinion", but you chose to ignore that.

An oversight on  my part for which I apologise.

1 minute ago, altus said:

The statue of Colston (who died in 1721) was erected in 1895. Slavery was abolished throughout the whole of the British Empire in 1833. The people who erected the statue new exactly what he'd done.

I think most people would agree with that. People have been objecting to the statue being moved at all.

An oversight on  my part for which I apologise.

So we are probably on the same page. 👍

i can remember when i was a little boy in fitzalan square, asking my mom who is that statue, when she told me i have remembered, thats what statues are for. being remembered.

I see people are trying to compare treatment of black people in police custody in the UK with those of the USA, to try and point out that there is a disproportionate amount of black people dying by the UK police.

Here is the headline:

Black people are twice as likely to die in police custody in UK - according to statistics

https://www.donsidepiper.co.uk/read-this/black-people-are-twice-likely-die-police-custody-uk-according-statistics-2876490

Here is the reality:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_Kingdom

Black people make up 8% of the arrests of the population. (wiki)

8% of those people who died in police custody were black. (donsidepiper)

White people make up 79% of the arrests of the population. (wiki)

75% of those people who died in police custody were white. (donsidepiper)

You are not more likely to die in police custody in the UK because you are black.

I'd like to point out that anyone dying in police custody is wrong, even if they are doped on fentanyl with a previous criminal record. It shouldn't matter what their skin colour is, everyone should be treated equally.

The problem being,what funded his good deeds.

Anyhow Bristol council are recovering the statue and putting in a museum so he still will be on view but with a fuller reckoning of his place in the world.

Edited by butlers

7 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

I see people are trying to compare treatment of black people in police custody in the UK with those of the USA, to try and point out that there is a disproportionate amount of black people dying by the UK police.

Here is the headline:

Black people are twice as likely to die in police custody in UK - according to statistics

https://www.donsidepiper.co.uk/read-this/black-people-are-twice-likely-die-police-custody-uk-according-statistics-2876490

Here is the reality:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_Kingdom

Black people make up 8% of the arrests of the population. (wiki)

8% of those people who died in police custody were black. (donsidepiper)

White people make up 79% of the arrests of the population. (wiki)

75% of those people who died in police custody were white. (donsidepiper)

You are not more likely to die in police custody in the UK because you are black.

I'd like to point out that anyone dying in police custody is wrong, even if they are doped on fentanyl with a previous criminal record. It shouldn't matter what their skin colour is, everyone should be treated equally.

I think that you're missing the Wiki stats in that link that only 2.9% of the black population were over 10 in 2009, whereas 88.6% of whites were,