The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

Renegotiated with who?

The EU has just announced that the withdrawal discussions are closed and the matter is now a domestic matter for the UK government.

The Chequers deal is as good as it's going to get. It's either that or remain.

Nobody but a handful of cranks and extremists want a no deal exit.

This is what confused me - if it is a draft, then normally changes are allowed to a draft - so it looks like Terry Mae has committed us to a downhill slides into <removed>.

Democracy in action - not!

All leavers should consider themselves traitors and refuse to bow to the dictatorship of Mrs May. (/CarBoot)

Edited by nikki-red

so couple of interesting brexit related news items, firstly the appointment of the new brexit secretary Stephen Barclay

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46241693

a former banker with Barclays, another leaver that blows cardoors sub robin hood arguements right out the window, along with rich boys Bojo, Rees Mogg, Aaron Banks and former stockbroker Farage.

---------- Post added 16-11-2018 at 18:32 ----------

Also in the news, a UN "expert" (aussie i think?) so not biased for or against the EU has stated britain has an issue with poverty and our ministers are in denial

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46236642

problems he states

He met people affected by poverty as well as government officials, discussing the impact of austerity, changes to benefits and local government funding.

At a news conference in London, he said he witnessed "a lot of misery, a lot of people who feel the system is failing them, a lot of people who feel the system is really just there to punish them".

come from issues with our own government NOT the EU.

he says "our" government is so stuck up with hardening benefits and not looking how it might adversly affect people.

also

Among experts in the media, think tanks, Parliament and organisations such as the National Audit Office, Prof Alston said there was "close to unanimity" that Britain was not doing enough to combat poverty.

But he said the view from ministers was the opposite.

"Ministers with whom I met told me that things are going well that they don't see any big problems and they are happy with the way their policies are playing out," Prof Alston said.

he also stated about brexit

He warned that the poor would "bear the brunt" of the expected impact of Brexit on the UK economy, and said the fall in the value of the pound had already cost low-income families £400 a year.

"In my meetings with the government, it was clear to me that the impact of Brexit on people in poverty is an afterthought," he said.

again we have warned and warned, the turkeys have been so brainwashed by the decades of lies, they will try anything to try and make their miserable lives better by voting for christmas

Edited by melthebell

scaremongering

Aye, 'cos the Police have no idea what they're on about :rolleyes:

Another example of the folly and irresponsibility of leavers.

Its time to push NI under the bus. . .

we should have done it hundreds of years ago :thumbsup:

Tbh, the UK itself has approached the whole “negotiation with the EU” thing, like a drunk trying to haggle with the automatic checkout at Tesco.

It hasn't even managed to reach those lofty heights... The perseverance with the Merkel obsession, ignoring the 26 other nations is more like they argued with Netto after it was relaunched with Sainsbury's, only to be closed a year later 'not because of Brexit'.

This is what confused me - if it is a draft, then normally changes are allowed to a draft - so it looks like Terry Mae has committed us to a downhill slides into s***creek.

Chequers was the draft/wish list.

The 500 page document is the final withdrawal agreement.

That was how May presented it to cabinet and the EU have made it clear that that is as far as it goes. So if it is rejected by parliament then we are left to leave without a deal or halt Article 50 and remain in the EU.

It's looking more likely that the lunatic fringe is struggling to get even half the letters needed to trigger a vote of no confidence which means that they haven't a prayer of persuading 2/3rd of Tory MPs to join them. This means that the campaign for a hard Brexit has run out of steam.

There are now three clear options.

1. A no deal Brexit which has virtually no support.

2. May's half in half out Brexit which nobody likes.

3. Remain in the EU which now has the support of more than half of the electorate.

Chequers was the draft/wish list.

The 500 page document is the final withdrawal agreement.

That was how May presented it to cabinet and the EU have made it clear that that is as far as it goes. So if it is rejected by parliament then we are left to leave without a deal or halt Article 50 and remain in the EU.

It's looking more likely that the lunatic fringe is struggling to get even half the letters needed to trigger a vote of no confidence which means that they haven't a prayer of persuading 2/3rd of Tory MPs to join them. This means that the campaign for a hard Brexit has run out of steam.

There are now three clear options.

1. A no deal Brexit which has virtually no support.

2. May's half in half out Brexit which nobody likes.

3. Remain in the EU which now has the support of more than half of the electorate.

The 500 plus page document has been referred to as a draft document.

Brexit: What does the draft withdrawal agreement reveal?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46212838

The 500 plus page document has been referred to as a draft document.

Draft as in draft until approved by Parliament and turned into law, not draft as in up for negotiation.

Not only has the EU said that the matter is closed, but Gove turned down the offer of Brexit Secretary because he was told my Teresa May that she would not allow him to negotiate further.

As I said in my last post, it is this deal, no deal or remain.

Draft as in draft until approved by Parliament and turned into law, not draft as in up for negotiation.

Not only has the EU said that the matter is closed, but Gove turned down the offer of Brexit Secretary because he was told my Teresa May that she would not allow him to negotiate further.

As I said in my last post, it is this deal, no deal or remain.

You seem to have a lack of understanding of the term draft when used before the word agreement or contract. It means the wording and terms have not been finalised or agreed by the parties involved. The matter is far from closed.

It means the wording and terms have not been finalised or agreed by the parties involved. The matter is far from closed.

OK, let's agree on the term 'final draft', to be agreed by the EU27 (a formality) and the UK Parliament (far from a formality).

Is that better?

OK, let's agree on the term 'final draft', to be agreed by the EU27 (a formality) and the UK Parliament (far from a formality).

Is that better?

The Leavers are panicking. The writing is on the wall for another vote. Not in a month of Sundays will this deal get through the Commons.

The Leavers are panicking. The writing is on the wall for another vote.

When this deal fails things will move very, very quickly.

By that time, the government will have been forced to publish the no deal emergency provisions and when we are being told that the police and army will be put on standby in case of looting or civil unrest, food will be in short supply, NHS operations and investigations will be cancelled, imported goods will be rotting at the ports or stuck in queues from Dover to the outskirts of London, drugs are being rationed, people will start to wonder what the hell is going on.

Remember only a small proportion of leave voters were outright cranks and racists. Most voted for it because it sounded like a good idea. When faced with the reality that the fifth richest economy is effectively going on a war footing they will start to wonder exactly what the hell is going on.

By that stage, remaining in the EU is going to seem like a very attractive proposition.