Nick Clegg ‘to receive knighthood’

Quite an odd and arbitrary decision to award Nick Clegg a knighthood.

I can't remember if David Cameron, Tony Blair or Gordon Brown received one. I know that previous post holders (Mrs Thatcher & John Major) received gongs....Perhaps if these things need to be given then should be on the basis of service to the public, rather than the whims of the awarding body.

Why should any MP or civil servant get a knighthood for just doing their job, which they get more than adequately well paid for?

That’s it exactly - they don’t get gongs for serving the public but for serving their party leaders.

Lord Bobar got his for loyal service to the ConDemNation coalition, not for his non-existent service to the good people of this fine city.

Why should any MP or civil servant get a knighthood for just doing their job, which they get more than adequately well paid for?

Why anyone would accept a knighthood after the shocking criminal behaviour of previous Knights is beyond me.

Why would anyone wish to be included in a group who are notorious for sexual misconduct, paedophilia and dishonesty.

I believe there are several famous persons who have turned it down in the last couple of years. I would do the same.

:hihi:

Why the comparison with Tony Bliar ?

Clegg and Blair both (imo) share the ability to make their mouths say anything. A sort of powerful self delusion. Blair once said that Britain's EU rebate was "not up for grabs - period" before deciding shortly afterwards that actually, it was.

On the Andrew Marr show Clegg said no one realised before the referendum that voting leave would mean that we would leave the single market. He was then shown a clip of himself saying exactly that before the referendum, at which point he said that people didn't realise like "that" (whatever "that" might be).

Blair and Clegg never really admit they are wrong, they are both posh white boys in suits, ex-public school boys, share similar views on many political issues, and so on.

With Blair, Cameron and Clegg I always got the feeling that they were virtually identical; that you could have swapped them around as party leaders and no one would really notice the difference.

---------- Post added 26-12-2017 at 13:07 ----------

Why anyone would accept a knighthood after the shocking criminal behaviour of previous Knights is beyond me.

Why would anyone wish to be included in a group who are notorious for sexual misconduct, paedophilia and dishonesty.

I believe there are several famous persons who have turned it down in the last couple of years. I would do the same.

Me too. The honours system is embarassing.

Oh hang on I think that I know this one - it's because they aren't Jimmy Savile, a Catholic priest, or a Rotherham taxi driver an HGV driver.

Is that the first thing you think of when you think of knights of the realm? Name 20 wrong uns.

I'm quite sure I could name some and ask why on Earth they did they get a knighthood, but chock full of perverts? I'll need a list. Savile is one, one other name is lurking in the back of me head but after that, nowt.