Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

I think most people have compassion for the homeless, but it;s always important to point out these people AREN'T homeless, as figures show.

There is also a solid structure for anybody that does find themselves homeless in place in Sheffield, that accommodates people incredibly quickly, hence why the homeless figures in the city are so low.

The people we see begging are (mostly) those who are using the compassion for the homeless to feed drink and drug problems, or sometimes even just to make themselves money. Hence their coming in via trains/cars to beg in some instances.

Giving them money is simply killing them, encouraging them not to engage with productive things and seek help, and feeding crime.

The best thing anyone that wants to help can do is give to charity or buy a Big Issue.

The number of people who have their benefits sanctioned (and therefore have no money) has increased dramatically in the last few years..

Grants to organisations that support homeless people in maintaining a tenancy have been cut.

There has also been a corresponding increase in the numbers of people sofa surfing.

If it's a genuine beggar they will appreciate a coffee and a sandwich. If they just want money they are generally not homeless!

My thoughts exactly...... most of the "beggers" I have come across seem to wear £100 trainers !