Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Make giving to beggars illegal and the problem could be sorted quickly. As another thread on here discusses more fully - those giving money are the ones that are encouraging this problem.

Quite surprised the other day to be walking along Birley Moor Road and greeted with 'Hello mate!' - as the guy with staring eyes walked past me with a bag of shopping. As he pulled further ahead he answered a 'phone call on his mobile.

It may seem like a lot of money, but if it saves on the NHS emergency costs, policing and other services, it could prove money well spent. Hopefully the money targeted at street homeless/beggars will mean early intervention before the issues become chronic.

I can only echo others, don't give money to people begging on the streets. Donate to support services, or offer food perhaps.

It may seem like a lot of money, but if it saves on the NHS emergency costs, policing and other services, it could prove money well spent. Hopefully the money targeted at street homeless/beggars will mean early intervention before the issues become chronic.

I can only echo others, don't give money to people begging on the streets. Donate to support services, or offer food perhaps.

Did that once..got it thrown back at me...never again...

That's the risk I'm afraid. The last time I gave something to a woman who was begging, it was a little money. I then asked if she knew about the Archer project. Turns out she did, and she'd been banned. I worked that out in the midst of her foul mouthed rant about the project. I know they successfully help some people out of these bad situations. They have to want the help, she obviously didn't. So nothing directly from me any more, just the odd donation.

That's the risk I'm afraid. The last time I gave something to a woman who was begging, it was a little money. I then asked if she knew about the Archer project. Turns out she did, and she'd been banned. I worked that out in the midst of her foul mouthed rant about the project. I know they successfully help some people out of these bad situations. They have to want the help, she obviously didn't. So nothing directly from me any more, just the odd donation.

It must be bad to get banned from there. There are so many outside high on drugs.

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 12:52 ----------

Fair enough but clearly then in that case the person is not homeless. If I was desperate I would accept food. So if you had given them money you would have enabled their addiction.

Fair enough but clearly then in that case the person is not homeless. If I was desperate I would accept food. So if you had given them money you would have enabled their addiction.

How many people do you see simply asking for food and not money though???

Few and far between.

Few and far between.

Just give em the Two Fingers jesture they soon get the idea. :suspect:

Being asked 15 times between train station and City Hall is my personal record...can anyone beat that?

I've started saving them their breath:

"Excuuuuse me....I'm just..." "

"No"

Although sometimes I do point out all the others on the street I've already been asked by, in the hope the message might get across that there are so many now.

Few and far between.

Then that's fine we don't give to them any money. If we adopt a simple rule of only giving food drink, clothes bedding etc then those that are desperate will accept it. Those that are wanting to fund their addictions will not be able to.

Then that's fine we don't give to them any money. If we adopt a simple rule of only giving food drink, clothes bedding etc then those that are desperate will accept it. Those that are wanting to fund their addictions will not be able to.

There is no need for anyone to beg this day and age and no need for food banks. Get down the Social if your skint or better still get a JOB. :rant:

Being asked 15 times between train station and City Hall is my personal record...can anyone beat that?

I've started saving them their breath:

"Excuuuuse me....I'm just..." "

"No"

Although sometimes I do point out all the others on the street I've already been asked by, in the hope the message might get across that there are so many now.

What if they were going to ask for directions, or the time?