Leeds - Actual Capital of the North?

Some countries have more than one capital city.

Not as far as I am aware, some countries have separate seats of government to their capital, but that does not make the seat of government a capital.

It is something that I genuinely think the UK needs to investigate by the way, with the increasing unsuitability of Westminster there is a great opportunity to drag the government out of London and base it more central, on cheaper land, boosting the local economy of the city it will be based in. Ideally a city that is smack-bang in the middle of the whole country...

:confused:

Oh I know! SHEFFIELD!

I don't really care if Leeds is or isn't the capital of the North

I don't envy Leeds. If I wanted Leeds then I would move to Leeds.

Just beat my to it,

I would rather live in the biggest village in the U.K Sheffield people are a lot more friendly, and the greenery is a lot better 10 minutes from the wide open spaces,cant beat it.

Load of rubbish if any city is capital it should be York as it' history goes back to pre roman, and Vikings also. Followed by Sheffield which as as more history than Leeds lets settle the argument and have a Yorkshire vote I thank you x

I'd agree with that.

Maybe we can use our new devolution powers to have a vote :D

I'd agree with that.

Maybe we can use our new devolution powers to have a vote :D

It would appear that York is being lumped in with Leeds City Region here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_City_Region

---------- Post added 26-11-2015 at 12:41 ----------

Yes Leeds does have things to recommend it, but there's more to life than shopping and drinking.

I used to work in Leeds and was shocked at the amount of street begging, houses and shops with grilles and bars across their windows. Not to mention that Sheffield is the greenest city in England, on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District.

Whilst Leeds beats Sheffield all hands up for shopping, I don't think it's a better place to go for a drink.

However, the article in the OP isn't comparing Leeds and Sheffield, it's comparing Leeds and Manchester.

... and what a load of Wiki nonsense that is! :hihi:

Leeds City Region tries to claim York and Barnsley even though on their own map they don't share a boundary with Leeds.

So by that reckoning maybe Sheffield should be grouped with Manchester and Nottingham.

Absolute piffle! :roll:

---------- Post added 26-11-2015 at 12:41 ----------

Whilst Leeds beats Sheffield all hands up for shopping, I don't think it's a better place to go for a drink.

However, the article in the OP isn't comparing Leeds and Sheffield, it's comparing Leeds and Manchester.

Suppose that depends what you like to drink. There are more craft beer bars within 100yds of Leeds train station than in the whole of Sheffield. And central Manchester come to that. Personally I think all the decent places in both Sheffield and Manchester are too spread out, hence making Leeds a more convenient night out. In fact the concentration of everything in Leeds does lend to it's air of being a more accessible city.

Only trouble is so many people think the same that it is rammed at the weekends. When I lived there I only went into town during thwe week. Spent my weekends out in Huddersfield or Sheffield. Both are much nicer places to drink at busy times.

Suppose that depends what you like to drink. There are more craft beer bars within 100yds of Leeds train station than in the whole of Sheffield. And central Manchester come to that. Personally I think all the decent places in both Sheffield and Manchester are too spread out, hence making Leeds a more convenient night out. In fact the concentration of everything in Leeds does lend to it's air of being a more accessible city.

Only trouble is so many people think the same that it is rammed at the weekends. When I lived there I only went into town during thwe week. Spent my weekends out in Huddersfield or Sheffield. Both are much nicer places to drink at busy times.

I think Leeds bars tend to be far more "craft keg" orientated, Sheffield caters more for the cask ale drinker and Manchester has more of a variety of different sorts of venues selling good beer. Manchester is even getting a Bundobust (which is something we could do with in Sheffield)

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/bundobust-open-manchester-craft-beer-10204628

---------- Post added 26-11-2015 at 13:06 ----------

... and what a load of Wiki nonsense that is! :hihi:

Leeds City Region tries to claim York and Barnsley even though on their own map they don't share a boundary with Leeds.

So by that reckoning maybe Sheffield should be grouped with Manchester and Nottingham.

Absolute piffle! :roll:

Also, it appears that Wikipedia has Barnsley in both Leeds and Sheffield city regions! :confused:

I think Leeds bars tend to be far more "craft keg" orientated, Sheffield caters more for the cask ale drinker and Manchester has more of a variety of different sorts of venues selling good beer. Manchester is even getting a Bundobust (which is something we could do with in Sheffield)

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/bundobust-open-manchester-craft-beer-10204628

---------- Post added 26-11-2015 at 13:06 ----------

Also, it appears that Wikipedia has Barnsley in both Leeds and Sheffield city regions! :confused:

You are correct - Leeds is far more craft keg. Still haven't found a decent range of anything in Manchester centre if I'm honest. When I go I stay out in Chorlton, which has EIGHT good bars in a relatively small area, and a direct Metro link into the centre as well as bus services to the airport. Have to be honest it's probably top of my list of alternative places to live, but would need much better links to Sheffield, or a new job, in order to do so.

Barnsley is supposed to be in both Metropolitan regions yes. Which is why I have constantly argued for it to be marketted as a commuter town for both, with better / concessionary travel between the two. But most Barnsley citizens won't accept that - they want it to be seen in it's own right and hate both Leeds AND Sheffield. Camneron was right when he said Yorkshire people hate each other even more than they hate everyone else.

For city centre drinking I reckon Liverpool out trumps them all:

https://www.visitliverpool.com/dbimgs/Real%20Ale%20Liverpool.pdf