Leeds - Actual Capital of the North?

Feel free to stay there, nobody is making you live in Sheffield.

I want to take sides because I have no preference to live in leeds.

But leeds does have more and better shops than Sheffield. Even gap and some other brand that my friend used to shop at (cant remember the name now) have left Sheffield and are in leeds now. When my friend wants perfume she can only get it from leeds or online now.

awwww:rolleyes: youre too kind,i didnt say i didnt like Sheffield, i just said the facilities , shopping and nightlife is far better in Leeds and sheffield doesnt cut it as the council has no idea how to attract retail investment.

Agree with you 100% I am Sheffield born and bred but spent almost 20 years moving around the country before havig to return to the city a couple of years ago to halp take care of my dad. Sadly Barnsley was as close as I could get at such short notice. The plan was always to move into Sheffield when I got the chance as my job is here, but now I'm not so sure. I love being closer to Leeds and Huddersfield for the variety and, as time goes on, the temptation would be to move North not South I'm afraid.

That said, maybe the redevelopment of the Moor and the new Retail Quarter will give Sheffield a much needed kick up the rear. I can only hope this is the case because, as a city, I prefer it.

I want to take sides because I have no preference to live in leeds.

But leeds does have more and better shops than Sheffield. Even gap and some other brand that my friend used to shop at (cant remember the name now) have left Sheffield and are in leeds now. When my friend wants perfume she can only get it from leeds or online now.

Gap... Does anyone even shop there? They've lost huge amounts of money and closed many stores in the last year because they failed to move with the times.

Gap... Does anyone even shop there? They've lost huge amounts of money and closed many stores in the last year because they failed to move with the times.

You're attacking Gap for not moving with the times but defending Sheffield? :huh:

Agree with you 100% I am Sheffield born and bred but spent almost 20 years moving around the country before havig to return to the city a couple of years ago to halp take care of my dad. Sadly Barnsley was as close as I could get at such short notice. The plan was always to move into Sheffield when I got the chance as my job is here, but now I'm not so sure. I love being closer to Leeds and Huddersfield for the variety and, as time goes on, the temptation would be to move North not South I'm afraid.

That said, maybe the redevelopment of the Moor and the new Retail Quarter will give Sheffield a much needed kick up the rear. I can only hope this is the case because, as a city, I prefer it.

sadly with this councils blinkers the new retail quarter will prob never happen and if it does it will be a disaster like the new market, the problem is the council dont look at schemes from a business point of view:roll:

The moor is going to be as big of a disaster as the market. The redevelopment is only a small little part of the moor.

Cineworld will be flying high with its refurb, 4DX and is closer to the tram with a bigger (but not big enough) parking lot.

Last week there was someone screaming about believing in god and the bible on moor with a loud soundsystem.

Leeds has more shopping brands and products to offer.

Sheffield is shrinking, leeds is keeping up and keeps these shops that Sheffield has lost.

sadly with this councils blinkers the new retail quarter will prob never happen and if it does it will be a disaster like the new market, the problem is the council dont look at schemes from a business point of view:roll:

This is the problem. When I first moved back to Sheffield i though 'wow - it's finally going places'. Three years later, it hasn't. Not really. meanwhile Leeds has Trinity and an upgraded Victoria Centre, plus a new bar / restaurant / entertainment venue opening up regularly.

---------- Post added 11-12-2015 at 09:44 ----------

The moor is going to be as big of a disaster as the market. The redevelopment is only a small little part of the moor.

Cineworld will be flying high with its refurb, 4DX and is closer to the tram with a bigger (but not big enough) parking lot.

Last week there was someone screaming about believing in god and the bible on moor with a loud soundsystem.

Leeds has more shopping brands and products to offer.

Sheffield is shrinking, leeds is keeping up and keeps these shops that Sheffield has lost.

The best parts of Sheffield are, sadly, outside the cente. Which isn't condusive to attracting people into the city. If they want the Moor to work they need a direct link to it from town. If you are a visitor who doesn;t know the transport system exactly how do you get there? Put a dedicated bus stop outside the train station that just shuttles to the Moor and back (like the FreeBee that was taken off, largely because it wasn't clear to visitors exactly where it went from!) and that might help.

Let me put it the way I see it.

The moor:

No connection to tram

No connection to train

Indecent parking.

Not enough places for food/drinks

Not particularly visually attractive or outstanding, (its just ok).

bad reputation due to market disaster.

When I come/go from south of city bus is ok, but from north bus stops frequently 10 minutes now to adjust to time schedule at fargate. Sitting there 10 minutes far away from the moor doing nothing because the bus is playing new timing games there, then takes a pacman route allover the place to get to the moor.

When I get out of train station in Leeds there is an easier more direct better developed connection to the city centre and its facilities.

---------- Post added 11-12-2015 at 10:34 ----------

I would like to add that sheffield trainstation is the most beautifull trainstation of any place I have ever lived and appreciate that very much.

Personally I prefer Sheffield station over leeds, but Sheffield will never rise to the top unless they perhaps build a nonstop rolling stairway from there to fargate.

Edited by dutch

Let me put it the way I see it.

The moor:

No connection to tram

No connection to train

Indecent parking.

Not enough places for food/drinks

Not particularly visually attractive or outstanding, (its just ok).

bad reputation due to market disaster.

When I come/go from south of city bus is ok, but from north bus stops frequently 10 minutes now to adjust to time schedule at fargate. Sitting there 10 minutes far away from the moor doing nothing because the bus is playing new timing games there, then takes a pacman route allover the place to get to the moor.

When I get out of train station in Leeds there is an easier more direct better developed connection to the city centre and its facilities.

---------- Post added 11-12-2015 at 10:34 ----------

I would like to add that sheffield trainstation is the most beautifull trainstation of any place I have ever lived and appreciate that very much.

Personally I prefer Sheffield station over leeds, but Sheffield will never rise to the top unless they perhaps build a nonstop rolling stairway from there to fargate.

Woe. there will be people on this Forum who swear we are the same person :)

The irony is that there is a tram from the station to fargate.

BUT!!!!! It is at the small, dark hidden minute back exit unknown to strangers/visitors. Far away from the fantastic front entrance.

Say you are a visitor, get out check out the station. Admire the artwork outside and ask, "where is the tram?"

You have to go all back again and further from where you got of the train, and the rear exit tram stops are some of the ugliest tram stops we have in Sheffield.

The irony is that there is a tram from the station to fargate.

BUT!!!!! It is at the small, dark hidden minute back exit unknown to strangers/visitors. Far away from the fantastic front entrance.

Say you are a visitor, get out check out the station. Admire the artwork outside and ask, "where is the tram?"

You have to go all back again and further from where you got of the train, and the rear exit tram stops are some of the ugliest tram stops we have in Sheffield.

There used to be bus-stops outside the front of the station. There is space to cut a recess into the paved area for a shuttle bus. As long as you make sure it's only used by a bus to service the run into town. Don't want buses backed up on the main road. That would help.

As far as an artistic city Sheffield has developed very far with its galleries, winter garden, theatres. And many more beautiful things that make Sheffield special.

But as far as a national competitor in business, money, national development Sheffield is a loser to Leeds.