Electronic information at tram/bus stops

Personally if that's what they are for then I just think it a big waste of money as the timetables are already posted at the tram stops

They're not very accurate though. Although it doesn't say it very clearly, they're only approximate times. There are various timing points on the network and what happens in between those points can vary greatly depending on traffic/passengers boarding/alighting etc. For instance I live on Park Grange Road, the previous timing point is Gleedless, and the next one is the Train station, so a tram can leave Gleedless on time and if no one gets on/off it can be trundling down Park Grange Rd 3-4 minutes early and it then sits at the station for several minutes to get back to time.

Conversely, there have been occasions where I've not seen them run through early and have waited assuming it would be along in a minute or two as per the time on the timetable only to be stood there 20+ minutes.

Supertram have said on Facebook in a post about this earlier today (they're testing the first screens at Tinsley/Meadowhall South) that they will display information based on the live GPS position of the trams, only falling back to timetable information when GPS information is not available.

They're not very accurate though. Although it doesn't say it very clearly, they're only approximate times. There are various timing points on the network and what happens in between those points can vary greatly depending on traffic/passengers boarding/alighting etc. For instance I live on Park Grange Road, the previous timing point is Gleedless, and the next one is the Train station, so a tram can leave Gleedless on time and if no one gets on/off it can be trundling down Park Grange Rd 3-4 minutes early and it then sits at the station for several minutes to get back to time.

Conversely, there have been occasions where I've not seen them run through early and have waited assuming it would be along in a minute or two as per the time on the timetable only to be stood there 20+ minutes.

Supertram have said on Facebook in a post about this earlier today (they're testing the first screens at Tinsley/Meadowhall South) that they will display information based on the live GPS position of the trams, only falling back to timetable information when GPS information is not available.

There is a picture of the first displays to be connected for testing (at Tinsley) on the Supertram Twitter and Facebook accounts. They are similar to many rail and metro stations in they tell you the destinations and times of the next three departures, a scrolling message with any service updates and a clock telling the current time. It works pretty much the same as the 'Your Stop' service on the Travel South Yorkshire website. The next departure information is automated and if the tram is tracking live will tell you an estimate on how many minutes away the tram is, otherwise defaulting to a time based on the published timetable. The scrolling message will be able to be update by the Supertram control room in the event of service disruption.

I have an app on my phone that tells me exactly when the next First or Stagecoach bus will arrive, they could just add the trams and this whole cost of adding physical infrastructure would be avoided. Let the uninitiated fend for themselves.

Sounds the same as the Nottingham ones. Good.

Wonder if we will also follow them in getting rid of conductors and installing ticket machines.

They tried that when it it first started but soon got rid in favour of conductors.If i remember right you brought a ticket from one machine then had to validate in another machine which took too long.

I have an app on my phone that tells me exactly when the next First or Stagecoach bus will arrive, they could just add the trams and this whole cost of adding physical infrastructure would be avoided. Let the uninitiated fend for themselves.

I've got an app called Moovit that does all buses and trams. Not sure how accurate it is though. I haven't used it on my new phone, have just downloaded it.

I catch the bus/tram from Stocksbridge to Infirmary Road. On a few occasions I have missed the tram by seconds, so I set off walking rather standing in the cold, and have had to do a u turn when another tram turned up minutes later.

Mentioned these in another thread about the Stagecoach fares rise.

Personally if that's what they are for then I just think it a big waste of money as the timetables are already posted at the tram stops, and they are also run fairly frequent.

Sometimes "just because you can" doesn't make in necessary or useful.

You've never stood at Leppings Lane Tramstop in the rain for 45 minutes wondering where the bleeding tram is, only to find out it was stuck behind a parked car on Langsett Road, have you?

The screens have finally arrived as SYPTE have found the funds (as they own the network and trams, it's their responsibility to fund and install).

They use live GPS data so will be realtime unless data isn't available, as already mentioned. I welcome them as a fairly standard service or feature of public transport these days.

The my next bus info on smartphones/the net/stops is fantastic,good to see it including trams as well.

Once you get used to it you wonder how you managed without it.

I can usually time leaving the house almost exactly as the bus arrives.

Cant see the need for printed timetables anymore.

The my next bus info on smartphones/the net/stops is fantastic,good to see it including trams as well.

Once you get used to it you wonder how you managed without it.

I can usually time leaving the house almost exactly as the bus arrives.

Cant see the need for printed timetables anymore.

How about for the people who don't use smartphones?