Electronic information at tram/bus stops

I have to say this development is well overdue, we've had real time passenger information available for a decade or more at train stations and now many people carry smart phones on which they can look this sort of information up.

Totally agree - I never understood why the buses got it before the trams...

The trams themselves currently seem to have the wrong destinations on - it says 'Malin Bridge' but only goes to Shalesmoor. Can't they alter them or is it the extra labour cost of altering them that prevents them being changed?

It would only confuse passengers because the blue route going the other way already says Halfway.

These are useless because they only show the timetable, but in countdown format.

They don't have the technology (GPS etc) in the buses to display live/accurate information

Depends which stop you are at. The First buses (not sure about Stagecoach don't use them very often) in Sheffield do carry the GPS trackers and you can get accurate countdowns at all stops using a number of smart phone applications. Not all the signs carry this but I'm sure the signs on Abbeydale Road provide accurate timing.

These are useless because they only show the timetable, but in countdown format.

They don't have the technology (GPS etc) in the buses to display live/accurate information

As has been said before:

If the arrival time at the bus stop is shown as a time eg 21:06 then the bus is not running or not reporting its GPS position.

If it is a countdown then in normal traffic it will arrive about that time.

In heavy traffic then it becomes more difficult to predict the time of arrival from its current GPS report- so the countdown can speed up/slow down.

Got a few tram stops shortcuts on my phone and usually look at this information before going to the tram.

Now after looking it up for years on my phone they decide to put it up on the stops.

Why didn't they put it up straight away years ago, it was available all the time and the technology is not that expensive either.

Edited by dutch

Why didn't they put it up straight away years ago, it was available all the time and the technology is not that expensive either.

I would guess cost is the reason it wasn't installed earlier.

Maybe they will provide more accurate and more complete info than what you currently get on your phone/tablet/computer.

Not much good unless it's going all the way :D:P

Passengers who are not aware of the works might think the next tram is going where they want and wait for something that doesn't exist. This way although they would be disappointed that they have to change onto a bus at least they are on their way.