Sheffield's potholes

I moved to Cornwall 3 years ago and my route to work is 6 miles down a single track road which is like a sheet of silk. The road looks like a spiders leg when viewed on a map. A small pothole (maybe 4 inches deep and 6 inches in diameter) appeared after the rains of last year and there was a delay of nearly three weeks before it was repaired. During this time the locals were in an apoplectic rage about the "bloody council" and their shoddy response. As you can imagine, after 20 years of driving on the Paris-Dakar rally that is a Sheffield commute I found this all very funny.

I've spent £300 this month on the car , £60 on alternator and battery ( from breakers ) and £200 on 4 new springs and 2 front shocks. I shattered 2 rear springs and drivers side front , it also collapsed the front drivers shocker destroying the sealed bearing unit...

Wow, is that every month?

I moved to Cornwall 3 years ago and my route to work is 6 miles down a single track road which is like a sheet of silk. The road looks like a spiders leg when viewed on a map. A small pothole (maybe 4 inches deep and 6 inches in diameter) appeared after the rains of last year and there was a delay of nearly three weeks before it was repaired. During this time the locals were in an apoplectic rage about the "bloody council" and their shoddy response. As you can imagine, after 20 years of driving on the Paris-Dakar rally that is a Sheffield commute I found this all very funny.

Cornwall - where roads are like silk and where they don't get potholes :cool:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-12564758

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 21:19 ----------

Depends on where you lived/live. I use to live in Nottinghamshire and I still work there, the roads around there are more like racetrack smooth.

Aaaah, the racetrack smooth roads of Nottinghamshire :cool:

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Notts-roads-riddled-potholes-complaints-soar/story-18182040-detail/story.html#axzz2LNkj7NZ0

Depends on where you lived/live. I use to live in Nottinghamshire and I still work there, the roads around there are more like racetrack smooth. You then move to sheffield where the roads have had patches of tarmac on top of tarmac it looks not like a road but top of a snickers bar. The car dances around like all 4 wheels want to go in different directions at 30mph , so Christ knows what it's like for these muppets who do +60 down deerlands and other areas of S5.

Then you have the orange sleeping police men in the road ( I smashed the engines floor on one ) by law they should be no higher than 4" of road clearance so cars can't be damaged. Now factor in either side of these the road has subsided or crumbled and now that 4" is 7 or 8" and your car scrapes over it no matter what speed you hit them. I removed the whole plastic underside of the engine bay and bumper on a non modified , non overloaded family car.

Lived in Sheffield all my life, all my journeys to work have been in Sheffield, I've driven lowered cars and they never bottomed out on anything. The orange speed bumps, or any other speed bump has never caused me any problems either.

In the last few years I must have spent well over £500 on repairs to my suspension, the biggest cost being a new rear axle.

The garage managed to source a 2nd hand axle, keeping the cost to just under £400, but they took over a week finding one, because they were so in demand.....I wonder why.

I noticed the other day they'd put yellow paint around the pot holes they intended filling in along Wortley Road.....it looked like a dot to dot there were that many.

At least the problems are finally being addressed, but you have to wonder why it has taken so long and how much more the motorists of Sheffield have paid extra in suspension repairs relative to similar size cities.

Regards

Doom