Did You Live In Shiregreen?

why should we care about our estate when the housing (sanctuary housing) don't even give a monkeys about the place.

You should care about where you live and try to impress others to care about where they live also as we all have to live together. It is in what you say & do that matters.

Does not matter where you live.

Don't depend on Sanctuary Housing all the time.

Leaving the neighbourhood is not the solution.

Ever heard about community spirit and civic pride? :)

For David Price, my sister (Fast Runner) and I are trying to put a face to your name, it's so frustrating as you appear to know who we are but we cannot place you.You say you knew me from Church, what was the connection: choir, servers, Sunday School or youth club. I was at some point involved with all. The people I did hang around with early on were Brian (Cherry)Williams, Doug & Michael Thompson and later Sue & Janet Ellis, Roger Storie, Alan Chittenden, Faye Longmore, Ian White,Bob Wood and Vicky Hall as well as many more I can't readily recall. I knew the vicar Philip Cawood very well but fell out big time with his successor the Rev Scott. I also worked closely with Mr. Henry Cooper when he ran a Sunday afternoon club for teenagers. Both at the time and in hindsight those were great times community spirit was well and truly vibrant loved every minute. Do let me know where you fitted in and roughly what dates we are in.

Ted Hills

The people I did hang around with early on were Brian (Cherry)Williams, Doug & Michael Thompson and later Sue & Janet Ellis, Roger Storie, Alan Chittenden, Faye Longmore, Ian White,Bob Wood and Vicky Hall as well as many more I can't readily recall. I knew the vicar Philip Cawood very well but fell out big time with his successor the Rev Scott. /QUOTE]

Of the names above I remember Alan Chittenden (nickname Chitts) although we went to different schools I was in the St Christopher's Boy Scouts with him in the same "patrol". I remember Rev Cawood also. About 1958 to 63ish.

Happy days.:)

Many thanks for sorting out School names I've now found Shiregreen School on Google maps but still a bit puzzled why so many people from shiregreen attended this one rather than Hatfield House as it was nearer. I attended Hatfield House from 1950-54. I wonder if the demarcation line was Bellhouse Road everyone on concord park side to Shiregreen and the other side to Hatfield House

Although I was a lot later at going to school than you are all mentioning I had to add my little bit. I lived at the Firth Park end of Bellhouse rd but the Concord park side but my Parents wanted me to go to Hatfield House lane school because it automatically fed in to Firth Park school, this was due to my Dad having a bad experience at Hinde House school as a child! I Started at Hatfield about 1974/5.

I've just recieved two large folders of carefully researched and beatifully handwritten pages of historical information about Shiregreen with photos and can't wait to start reading. They were created by Mrs. Pam Easley of Ronksley Road (my mother in law) who died last year. So watch this space for more exciting news of old Shiregreen.

I went to shiregreen school, left in 68, lived on corner of Bracken rd, Wincobank ave, the estate was very good back then, people looked out for each other, had a quick run through when I have been back to UK, almost didn't recognise it, I remember the brickyard on wincobank ave, there was a small court yard with a few houses & a little shop round it, one of my brothers accidently set himself on fire in the court yard (he was smoking fags when he shouldn't have been) one of the residents rushed to his aid, when they knocked them down they built the flats that I presume are still there next to what was the roman ridge pub, saw that being built (now demolished) , the doctor was Dr williams on Bluebell, you couldn't make an appointment then you just had to go and queue up, I went to aunt sally's dance classes which was held in the church hall, I didn't go for long as couldn't afford the tap shoes some of the girls I went to school with where shirley walker, lindsay myers, marina ogden, pat allan, peggy & paul hudson, susan longford, (next door neighbour) linda mellor, gloria willis, janet senior, katherine cutting, to name but a few, if anyone knows these tell them to get in touch, as would be great to reminise some more, now I now live in Mallorca between Magaluff & Santa Ponsa, have done for the last eight years, speaking of Mallorca is anyone thinking of Holidaying there this year, my brother also has an apartment right on the beach he lets in Magaluff. I'm sorry if I am going on a bit but it is great to look back,if anyone remembers, my name as was (Sue Haddon) now Jackson

Previous posts have mentioned Grange Lane Station, Steam trains, Basket Bridge LNER & LMS tracks, the dyke and football pitch.

The two piccie links I offer consist of Grange Lane signal box with double box operated gates taken before the line got downgraded to a single manual gate box.

Grange_Lane_Gates

basket bridge

A steam train plodding up the Blackburn Valley between Grange Lane & Ecclesfield East Stations. You can see the Basket Bridge and the football pitch in the dyke area to the right of the bridge. The LNER (GCR) tracks are on the left and the LMS tracks are on the right. The LMS line can be seen bending to the right towards Woolley Woods.

Hope this conjures up some memories.

I have found a picture of my Grandfather, Charles W Gates, who used to be responsible for the track between Brightside and Chapeltown on the LMS.

Here he is in the centre with 2 of his gang in the fogman's or platelayer's hut on Woolley Wood bottom. He might be better known as Charlie Gates.

My Grandad

He lived on Woolley Wood Road and died in 1975 at the age of 85 years. He worked up to his 65th birthday and retired from the railway to take up his "little job" collecting glasses at Bellhouse working mens club. He did this for nearly two decades. He took part in whist drives and generally had a good time up at the club. He was a keen gardener and well respected. Does anyone remember him?

I have started to read the two files on Shiregreen along with some other leaflets and they are a totally fascinating window into a bygone era. Along the length of the Blackbrook there were 7 waterwheels with 2 at Grange Lane for grinding corn and one at Butterthwaite also a windmill at the top of Grange Lane. The map showing this is dated 1775.The leaflet was produced in 1981 by Blackburn School and sold to raise funds.

L4WEY - The photo's of Grange Lane station certainly brought back good

memories. I have been in the signal box many times as a young girl and have

had many happy times there. I remember the large metal levers in the signal

box. The house adajcent is where the Lickorice family lived, (station master) I also rode on the steam engines.

Basket Bridge also brings back memories of child hood days.

Thanks for the excellent photographs. :)

I've just recieved two large folders of carefully researched and beatifully handwritten pages of historical information about Shiregreen with photos and can't wait to start reading. They were created by Mrs. Pam Easley of Ronksley Road (my mother in law) who died last year. So watch this space for more exciting news of old Shiregreen.

Hi

Just read the above and the name Ronksley Road caught my eye. My Grandparents lived there when i was a little girl. Number 28 was the home of Murial and Arthur Watts, they had 3 sons Raymond / Keith and Alan. Raymond was my Father. Murial my Grandmother wa as a signal woman on the old Grange Lane railway. Did you know them

Not from Shiregreen, but my grandparents lived there in the 60's on Ronksley Road, so obviously used to visit there as a kid and had many happy times there. Their 3 sons were Raymond / Keith & Alan.

Other residents i recall were Ken and Sylvia Brunt, Mrs Sares, Cragg Family. Mrs Timperly, and Bennetts, Do these name ring a bell with the older end.

Can any one remember the traffic roundabout in Firth Park in the 60's it ues dto be lit up at night with coloured lanterns around the edge. They wouldnt last 2 minutes now if they were there.