Did You Live In Shiregreen?

zoboz111

Hi Denlin thanks for getting in touch. I was born at 137 Butterthwaite Rd which was round the corner from Hartley Brook Road where the terminus bus stop. It was my grandma's house they were called Lawson. A few years later my mum moved over the road where the red phone box was. I dont recollect your families name, where abouts did they live on there.

I remember Kay Williams, she was the PT Mistress when we won the Sheffield Shield for Netball, it was an all Sheffield Schools competition.

My teacher was Miss Fincham, she disliked me and the feeling was mutual.

Long, long time ago.

I think that it was miss Finchham who played the piano and Mr. Bennet

- a very short stocky guy- would sing "The Fishermen Of England". He

had a great baritone voice. This was during the war years.

Mr. Dobson dished out the punishment, weekly, in the assembly hall.

Do you remember that everyone that was too late to go into assembly had to walk round the hall to the music with heads bowed ?, I think it was the Dead March. Other than that I had great respect for Mr. Dobson, he was very kind to me when my father died.

I think that it was miss Finchham who played the piano and Mr. Bennet

- a very short stocky guy- would sing "The Fishermen Of England". He

had a great baritone voice. This was during the war years.

Mr. Dobson dished out the punishment, weekly, in the assembly hall.

you would remember mr chapman then i left summer 1944

I lived on Wooley Wood Rd from about 1938 until 1952 except for a couple of years

or so in the navy. Emigrated to Canada early '57. So far, Iv'e recognized a few of my

old school teachers names, but that's about it. Perhaps I'm a bit older than most of you

Shiregreeners. I do, however, enjoy reading the threads and I'm very glad I recently dis-

covered this website. So....Keep them coming and thanks to everybody.

Does anyone remember David & George Dawson from Oaks Fold Road in the fifties & sixties?.

I think George Dawson was in my class at Woolley wood junior school,he lived on oaks fold road,just above oaks fold,if I'm correct I think he moved to Park hill flats when they were first built,and he still came to school on the bus,I remember him bragging about living in the flats with fantastic views overlooking Sheffield.