Did You Live In Shiregreen?

It is really sad to read remarks like this. I with my parents moved into a brand new house on Shirehall Rd. about 1933,I was one year old. I lived there until 1940, then Hatfield House Lane. So, all my childhood in Shiregreen, it was wonderful. We always had brilliant neighbours & it was a very safe area, apart from German bombs.

Was sad to hear the old estates have either gone now or are going downhill a bit?  I Was brought up on the Flower estate and had a brilliant childhood with good pals and neighbours who looked out for each other.  There were sometimes families who had a few problems but nothing other areas had I suppose.  Went through the old Shiregreen schools on Bracken Road where the staff seemed good and did what they could with the resources they had in those days. The schooling reminds me of 3 books I have recently read all set in the Shiregreen area and can thoroughly recommend them. Two are set in a big house a nice steady walk from the area and a poetry book written by Five sisters who reminisce about their chilhoods  The two fiction come biography books  were written by Lora Adams and are The Belle Fields and Ashes of Roses which is the sequel.  The poetry book is Say Kangaroo and written by , would you believe , Five Sisters!  I bought my copies on Amazon for a few pounds and hope anyone who gives them a try enjoy them as much as I have.

I lived in Shiregreen in the 1940's  during WW2.   (Homestead Road)

Went to St Patrick's  school at Sheffield Lane Top and then to De La Salle college at Pitsmoor.

We moved to Swanbourne Rd ( Sheffield Lane Top ).  I remember making tea in large watering cans and carrying it down to the Capitol cinema where the people who had been bombed out received temporary shelter. I spent every night for two years in the school shelter at St Patrick's school. I would be interested to hear from anyone of that era,  although as I am 93, I don't expect there are many people still alive

Brian Sweeney

On 03/02/2008 at 18:19, Janner said:

Buck Rogers, I used to go to the Paragon before the war, am I right in thinking the cinema manager used to walk around trying to keep order with a long cane? The entrance fee must have only been a couple of coppers. Flash Gordon was also a favourite. Just had a thought was'nt it Buck Rogers that chewed gum when he was angry/

The Saturday morning show at the Paragon cinema used to cost 2d in the stalls and 4d in the balcony. At the greengrocers, opposite, one could buy a large brown paper bag full of shelled peanuts. Enough to throw at your near neighbours and still have plenty to eat. I well remember "Zorro ridees again !!!

Brian Sweeney

On 08/03/2008 at 21:35, terryob said:

does anyone have any wartime stories, I remember one time the air raid warning siren sounding and crying when my mam dragged my three brothers and me out of bed,she got us dressed and took us downstairs as we got to the back door there was an almighty bang as a bomb dropped in the area my mother screamed and threw us all into the coal house.Does anyone remember the anderson shelters my dad buried ours below ground level and put a stove and some bunks in,it was really cosy. I remember the field near the concrete path there were some trenchs dug out near the bottom ,I wonder if these were made for the home guard, we would play soldiers there.

I have plenty of wartime memories. On the very first night of the war, the sirens sounded. Our Anderson shelter had been delivered but not yet erected. My father made us all lie down in the garden and covered us up with the sheets of corrugated metal until the all clear sounded. No enemy activity anywhere in England. That was the beginning of what was known as the phoney war. On the two main nights of the Sheffield blitz the Germans used hundreds of bombers ( mainly Junkerrs 88 dive bombers ) but also Dorniers and Heinkels,  which dropped hundreds of incendiaries as well as land mines and high explosives.

Thousands of people were made homeless and hundreds were killed or injured. I was in the city centre the following morning and I must admit  I was very scared as everywhere was sill ablaze, gas mains were still exploding and broken glass was underfoot everywhere

Brian Sweeney

On 07/01/2015 at 21:43, Maureen ann said:

I live in Homestead road in the 30's and 40's, We moved to Swanbourne Rd at Lane Top and I use to pass Credland's garage on my way to catch the tram each day to go to my school ( De La Salle College)

Brian Sweeney

My grandmother lived on windmill lane her surname was Bond  she live at 460

I believe I had an aunty beth (Elizabeth) and uncle Alf that lived on Shirehall road 50's to 80's.

I used to know a Freda Cooper of Shiregreen when I was at Edgar Allens. Her Husband was Fred Cooper,I believe .

Does anyone know of her?

Edited by CF8M
grammr

I didn't  live on homestead Road but went to piano lessons at Miss Dyson's for a few years ending in 1953 when l was 14. I believe  the Fletcher 's and McCallisters lived on there one of the Fletcher was in my class at Hartley rook Rd. School.

My Aunt and Uncle lived on Wolleywood Rd. in the 50's They were Harry and Renee Joyce, they had two daughters Rita and Hazel. Rita married a young man who's fatherl owned?  or managed The Huntsman.  My friend went out with a lad who lived on there Derek Burberry, they were engaged for a time but.......

l lived on Nethershire Lane from 1945 to 1960. We overlooked the fields and could see Ebenezer Church and almost to Hulley's ice cream which were on the Barnsley Rd. It was a lovely place to live, we spent hours playing in the fields, jumping the river, sledging down the hill in winter, and sliding down it on card board in summer. What a childhood compared to these days.