Did You Live In Shiregreen?

zoboz111

Thanks for that Bri, yes that was the main entrance to Hemmings, I often wonderd if they went out of business. In the last 30 years I can't believe how many Steel firms have shut down in Sheffield.

By the way, did you have a look at the Brook, is the water clean nowadays?

Steve

This is Blackbrook. We always called it the Dyke. This pic was taken looking over the left hand side of the bridge as you walked towards the station. That dyke used to be the boundray line between Sheffield and Rotherham. These days I'm informed that the boundary is the motorway.

Bri.

This is a close up of the brook, providing I remember to put the link on, :hihi: The memory isn't what it used to be. At least, I don't think it is:rolleyes: The photo was taken earlier this week and you can see that it is reasonably clear.

Bri.

Yes Bri thanks for that photo, it looks 100% cleaner than it was back in 1967, when I worked at Hemmings.

The water that cooled the Rollers on our Mill used to go straight into that Brook.

Steve

The ground between the Dyke and Ecclesfield Road had a football pitch on it and on Saturday mornings we would watch local teams playings. I'm sure that Hemmings had a team that played there regularly. One of the things that always amused me was when the ball landed in the Dyke which was fairly regular there were some interesting antics employed to retrieve it. I also remember the water being black and smelly more like an open sewer. Does anyone remember the small plot of land enclosed by the Dyke and the railway embankment which someone made into a smallholding with a pig stye, he built a bridge across the Dyke to get to it. this is a long time before Cintrides was built.