Did You Live In Shiregreen?

zoboz111

Going to the pictures brings back memories for me too, although I went to the Essoldo near Sheffield Lane Top regularly on Friday evenings with my best friend Michael Cooper who sadly I have lost touch with. Like everyone else we walked there as we did to everywhere locally. Did anyone go fishingin in the pond behind the WMC in Ecclesfield, is it still there? had some exciting times there mixing with all the dead keen anglers. There was a barber working in a wooden hut on The Common, great long queues on Saturday mornings, good value at 1 shilling a time. Happy days!
Ted...I read a thread on this forum somewhere saying that the Ecclesfield WMC pond was up for sale.

What a sorry state Grange Lane Station looks, my mother used to

clean at the station with Mrs Lickorice who lived at Station House.

I have many fond memories riding on the trains and helping to put

the coal into the furness on the trains. We had trips to Skegness from Grange Lane Station with my family.

What has happened to Grange Hall !! that was a fine building, when my mother worked there, Matron Bowes was in charge. Annie King was the Matrons Maid she was a very good friend of my mothers and came to tea every Saturday.

Most Christmas mornings we went to see the very tall Christmas Tree, that they had in the large hallway, and father

Christmas came to give presents to the children. I also remember the Hemmings and Cintride factories.

Thanks for the photo brought back memories.

Hi do you live in shiregreen?................

I lived on the estate from 1971 to 1984 but only

during the day, I was the housing inspector, must say the estate was ok during those yrs, the only thing i you'sed to dread was refusing to pass the decor when a transfer was called for, some used to be very annoyed, Cheers Arthur.an amusing incident from those days l went to look at a supposed vandalised toilet, and came to the conclusion that the bowl had been smashed wilfully, in stead of cleaning it ,the bowl was overflowing on to the floor, after pwd lads had refused to clear the blocked toilet the [tennant was to be charged ]so the plumber went to fit a new basin , the tennant asked , any chance er a cullerd un? the pluber gave a quick reply, thas just had a cullerd un a brown un ArthuFearn.

Grange Hall or Thundercliffe Grange, is now owned by Jeremy Blundell and is partly used as apartments. My mother used to work there and it was the last delivery on my paper round when I was a paper boy.

I will go back to Grange Lane and take photographs of all the places you have mentioned.

Bri.

BEENICKO - Yes you are quite right the correct name is Thundercliffe Grange, what I remember is the lovely grounds where

it was situated. Our mothers must have known each other, my

mother worked there for a few years. Did you live on lower Shiregreen we lived at 53 Deep Lane. I shall be very interested in

seeing the photographs.

Last time I saw Thundercliffe Grange was 5 years ago when I last

visited Sheffield.

I also delivered papers to Thundercliffe Grange, sometimes the gate in the stone wall was locked and I had to climb over the wall , but it was all in a days work, I assume you were working for Potts the newsagent on Paper Mill Road. I did a morning and evening round but not Sundays, certainly got you out of bed early on school days, wasn't it Thursdays when all the thick magazines were delivered, used to enjoy seeing what everybody was reading.

Hi Fast, I used to live on Sicey Avenue opposite Butterthwaite Crescent. My daughter lives on Deep Lane. Ted, I've climbed the wall at Thundercliffe a few times.

You're right, I did work for Potts on Papermill Rd. Do you remember what happened to Mr. Potts and his unpleasant demise. His wife was a rather large Scottish woman.

I remember my mother {Nicholson} mentioning someone called Bowes at the Grange. In those days we used to have quite heavy snowfalls which made it a rather awkward hike to the Grange. It was no good going out without wellies on in the snow in those days:mad:.

I'll get the photos set up in a couple of days.

Bri.

Ted...I read a thread on this forum somewhere saying that the Ecclesfield WMC pond was up for sale.

I used to go to the Essoldo but when I was a young 'un it was called the Capitol. I used to walk up there, usually Wednesdays, from Sicey Avenue to book two seats for Saturday night for my ma & Pa. The tickets were a dark pink colour. Anybody remember those? :rant: <<They were this colour. :D

Bri.