Did You Live In Shiregreen?

For David Price: My sister and I are still struggling to put a face to your name which is so frustrating. The names you mentioned don't mean anything to me. You were involved with the church from 1960 - 1964 but I did national service from Aug 60 - 62 so wouldn't have been around then. I did know Philip Cawood and Philip Rogers very well. It could be that we simply moved in different circles of friends and didn't comminicate directly.Ted Hills

Ted - I missed National Service by a few months - also I was an apprentice at the time I would have gone - but a couple more names to try to get the link - Mr and Mrs Pinder and their son ( Rodger) I think that they lived off Beck Road somewhere, the Steven's family who lived above the church in Bellhouse Road. Finally we went to Philip Rodgers Ordination which I think was in Blackburn ( a bit vague) but around 1962.

David-Thanks for trying. I knew Mr & Mrs Pinder very well yes they did live on Beck Road almost opposite the school, vagely recall the Stevens. I must have been elsewhere when Philip Rogers was ordained maybe doing national service. What about a few more names-Ian White, Roger Storey, Sue Ellis all very much involved in running the youth club. I was involved with the servers of the sanctury as was Philip and how I got to know him. Did you ever go on those crazy midnight hikes into the Derbyshire dales? Eventually something will click and the light will switch on, in the meantime I'll continue to scratch my head. Ted

OK staying in Shiregreen who can remember Anita Gillots hairdrerssers and all the other shops in that area - they were set in a sort of circle, there was a fish & chip shop / green grocers and newsagents and butchers shop. I remeber my Nan taking me shopping and my hair cutting at Anitas.

My Nan lived on Ronksley Road the surname was WATTS

Yeah the hairdressers was up the steps on the side of the building. The shop what`s the bookies used to be a butchers, can`t remember the name. The post office and chemist have always been there. There`s some photo`s on the library services web site of the shops. BTW they`re called hartley brook shops

Have recently discovered this Shiregreen link and wallowed in nostagia (all 18 pages).

Now a question for the "oldies" do you have wartime memories of what we called Home Service when kids attended classes in private houses ? You are supposed to find everything on the net but have failed to find any reference to it. I recall it took place in winter and I think it was two sessions per week and also think it lasted only briefly. The two houses I attended (on Hatfield House Lane and Sicey Avenue)are still there as far as I know. Anyone's life and memory stretch that far back

Have recently discovered this Shiregreen link and wallowed in nostagia (all 18 pages).

Now a question for the "oldies" do you have wartime memories of what we called Home Service when kids attended classes in private houses ? You are supposed to find everything on the net but have failed to find any reference to it. I recall it took place in winter and I think it was two sessions per week and also think it lasted only briefly. The two houses I attended (on Hatfield House Lane and Sicey Avenue)are still there as far as I know. Anyone's life and memory stretch that far back

Karling, I think i may have heard my nan speak of this occuring during the war and i feel sure that my dad attented such sessions before being evacuated. My nan did a strange thing and evacuted him to his aunts in Grimsby (I thought the germans were aiming for the docks - so not a good palce to be at the time) anyway his name was Raymond Watts from Ronksley Rd. Not sure where he attended if he did.

My Nan worked at the singnal box on Grange Lane

I was at Gregg House Rd school, started in 1937. When the war came along we were split into groups, about 10, then we went to a house in Shirehall Rd. for lessons. The lessons were short and the arrangement did'nt last long. I remember the shops at Hartey Brook, there was a chemist's, we used to buy cinnamon sticks and tried to smoke them. We also bought Spanish liqourice , looked like a lump of coal, we used to break it into bits and suck them. There was a paper shop, they had a wooden block with holes in it. Inside the holes were strips of paper which we pushed out . If the strip had a lucky number you won a prize, sweets , I think.

Karling, I think i may have heard my nan speak of this occuring during the war and i feel sure that my dad attented such sessions before being evacuated. My nan did a strange thing and evacuted him to his aunts in Grimsby (I thought the germans were aiming for the docks - so not a good palce to be at the time) anyway his name was Raymond Watts from Ronksley Rd. Not sure where he attended if he did.

My Nan worked at the singnal box on Grange Lane

Thanks Coral. i knew where Ronksley Rd was but can't recall a raymond Watts....he obviously survived your nan's misguided evacuee idea though.

I was at Gregg House Rd school, started in 1937. When the war came along we were split into groups, about 10, then we went to a house in Shirehall Rd. for lessons. The lessons were short and the arrangement did'nt last long. I remember the shops at Hartey Brook, there was a chemist's, we used to buy cinnamon sticks and tried to smoke them. We also bought Spanish liqourice , looked like a lump of coal, we used to break it into bits and suck them. There was a paper shop, they had a wooden block with holes in it. Inside the holes were strips of paper which we pushed out . If the strip had a lucky number you won a prize, sweets , I think.

Never heard of a Gregg House Rd school. I went to Hatfield Hse Lne school then to Firth Park Grammar. I imagine these short lived home teaching sessions took place around the time of those two big bombing raids on Sheffield.....late 1941 I think

I recently visited Shiregreen and couldn't resist calling at St. J.& C luckily it was open they were having a cleaning day. I was most warmly welcomed by the priest in charge Anesia Cook who showed me round all the old places I already knew so well. Very little had changed the same wooden chairs for the congregation the same colour scheme as when the church was re-ordered during Philip Cawood's days. It certainly brought back scores of memories. One sad change the scout troop no longer meets there being superceded by the Boys Brigade from Beck Road Methodist. I chatted with one of the older helpers who could recall all the names of people I could remember like the Pinders, Miss Coward, Mr. Littlewood and many more. I promised to convert some of my relavent cine film to DVD and send them a copy of what we did in the good old days. Ted

Never heard of a Gregg House Rd school. I went to Hatfield Hse Lne school then to Firth Park Grammar. I imagine these short lived home teaching sessions took place around the time of those two big bombing raids on Sheffield.....late 1941 I think

Karling, the time when our school was in peoples houses was definately in 1939. When the two big raids took place I was living on Hatfield House Lane No. 108. I also attended Hatfield House Lane junior school. I also went to Firth Park Grammar school. We moved to Masters Rd. Parson Cross in 1947, I joined the R.N. in 1949. I left the Red Caps in 1946 , to go to the Central Tech. Our paths must have crossed at some time.