Did You Live In Shiregreen?

zoboz111

For terryob -unfortunately the leaflets are handwritten personal documents produced by the late Pam Easley and now in her daughters possession. They are the result of many years of painstaking research into the history of not just Shiregreen but most of the surrounding area. In some ways it is a bringing together of information which already exists in various books and archives. Pam was a stickler for detail and everything is beautifully hand written with plenty of photos to illustrate. They are also produced on larger than A3 format paper which makes them difficult to copy cheaply. I'll make some enquiries about copying and report back. Ted Hills

Re Thundercliffe Grange . we used to parade there from beck rd methodist church led by the B B and a guy i think called mr hodge who could shout from one side of sheffield to the other . for some reason we stopped on street corners and sang hymns in the hope that someone might listen to us.cant imagine what the poor kids at the grange got out of it . my nan used to work at the penguin from the day it was built [ vi hathaway ] and brought me footy progs from the guys who went on the penguin special coach to the matches . more over to my side , at hartley brook shops there was queenies , gillotts and hopkinsons . I used to deliver groceries on the shopbike like granville and give girls i fancied a ride in the basket ! .anyone remember the bus only going along beck rd , not all the way round , miss wadsworth at beck rd school and the 4 o'clock gang, ecclesfield fair behind the pub , hulleys ice cream factory and the orchards on the allotments at hartley brook and arthur wood who took over the paper shop on bellhouse rd . alan

I started teaching at Shiregreen Middle School in the late seventies.. Kids include Andy Matthews, Gary Fothergill, Rowding Family, Flint Family, Walches etc Teachers were Pete Inman, Bernard Priest, Gwen Marsden, Mike Mahoney, Jim Friar, Dave Hutton etc.

i was there with those kids back then, i can remember first time in mr priests class and getting prodded under the shoulder blade for talking, also the board rubber and chalk being thrown at pupils.

i remember mrs furniss on oaks fold rd, at the back of concord park. she used to teach me at shiregreen school, took the all class to her house and gave us all glass of orange, At the end of the year she gave us all a ladybird book on british wildlife and still had until a couple of year ago. This site is brill

Only found this site 2 days ago, curtesy of my brother. Find it fascinating not stop reading it yet! Just had to come in on the Shiregreen thing. I was brought up on Shiregreen, first going to Woolley Wood Junior School then Shiregreen Sec Mod, left in 1964. Loved the place then, it has so many memories for me. Anyone remember Gibbon Chipshop on Nethershire Lane? My mum worked there for years, we always got free chips when she was at work, the down side was every morning when we got up, the house stank like a chip shop from her overalls from the night before! I remember going to play in Concorde park and the woods, where the lads would build a tarzan swing and us girls werent allowed a go. Does anyone remember Miss(Valerie I think) Furness, used to do dancing lessons on Oaks Lane/Shiregreen Lane? Only went for ballroom, but it never did me much good, I have two left feet now. Oh how young and innocent we all were in those days, compared to today, don,t know who was better off? I heard someone mention Joe Gould, I remember him well, and his mother, who always frightened me, I used to think she was a witch. Used to get sent there to fetch 10 Park Drive for my mum and dad, at about the age of 8/9, that wouldnt happen today. Love to hear more if anyone remembers anything from around that time.

I grew up on Lower Shiregreen during 60's/70's. I went to Hatfield House Lane School, now Firth Park. I remember Gould's shop on Bellhouse Road. There was the old lady, Joe and Grace. I think Grace used to work on buses, as well as help in the shop. I remember it being very old, small and cluttered.

Is anyone on here used to go to Hatfield House Lane 1966 to 1970. Mr. Whitfield was the head teacher at that time. Miss Meehan, music teacher, Miss Mills and Mrs. Ellis (as was) PE teachers, Miss Wallace, needlework, Mr. White, Physics, Mr Senior Chemistry and Mr Briars, Biology, to name a few.

I lived at 22 Deep Lane during the war, and my grandparents Billy and Louisa Wood lived on the other side at 23. My brother Philip is 14 years younger than me and he went to a school on Shiregreen. Can’t remember which, but the Headmistress was Miss Glossop who was also head of Hunter’s Bar Infants School while I was there.

My Aunt and Uncle lived at 20 Deep Lane along with Jean and Brian during the war and up to the early 70's. I have happy memories of visiting Deep Lane. My cousin Brian only recalls the Hendersons is that your family name? . For a short while we lived at 600 Bellhouse Road across from the Wilsons who lived on the odd side of Deep Lane.

I don't know many people from Beck Road. I used to go to the Doctors on the corner of Beck Road and Bellhouse. I think one was Dr. Rapinet and the other was Dr. Hudson I think. I used to play down Deep Lane as a young girl and over the road towards Grange Lane I even used to go all day into Concord Park and walk to Chapeltown Baths on a Saturday afternoon. If I remember rightly the only person I know used to live on Deep Lane was the Hickey family, although I could be wrong. I know they lived down there somewhere. Linda Hickey was in my year at school. I'm from Shirehall Road,(low numbers) just off Lowhouse Road. My friend from school lived further up at 500 Bellhouse Road. Cheryl Lidster. Their family own the shop on Nethershire Shops now. Her dad used to be a coal merchant. Some of the old shops I remember were Mr. Peat the butcher, Styans bakery, just before the slope, Greenstreet the Chemist and I think Mrs. Evans was the name of the Post Mistress who ran the post office.