Did You Live In Shiregreen?

Anyone from the top end in 60s remember The Salkelds, Toolsons, Bettisons,pinders,

Hattersleys,Massy's Wilsons,Bamforths, Marshalls,cotton's,Turners,nicholsons,Youngs,

rogers,Whites,Spencers,Hadfields,Frances,Sarsons,Bynes,Quinns,Quinlan's.

Hi!

I remember Anita, Romain, and Sam Gillott can't remember Mrs Gillott's name. I was born in 1939 in Wheatfield Cresent and moved to Nether Shire Lane in 1946. Anita cut my hair until I married in 1960 and moved south. She married Roy Fox if I remember correctly. I spent many happy hours as a younster playing around Hartey Brook shops and down the fields at the bottom of the garden, we used to go "jumping " the brook, and sliding down the hill on cardboard in summer, and sledging down it in winter. No computers then.

I gather it isn't such a good place to be now.

I don't remember the pigs someone mentioned but Mr Thompson had goats he kept on the field. He lived in Godric Rd.

Hi!

I remember Anita, Romain, and Sam Gillott can't remember Mrs Gillott's name. I was born in 1939 in Wheatfield Cresent and moved to Nether Shire Lane in 1946. Anita cut my hair until I married in 1960 and moved south. She married Roy Fox if I remember correctly. I spent many happy hours as a younster playing around Hartey Brook shops and down the fields at the bottom of the garden, we used to go "jumping " the brook, and sliding down the hill on cardboard in summer, and sledging down it in winter. No computers then.

I gather it isn't such a good place to be now.

I don't remember the pigs someone mentioned but Mr Thompson had goats he kept on the field. He lived in Godric Rd.

The fields aren`t what they used to be. There`s always a gang hanging around the paths which makes you feel uneasy and a motorbike tearing along the paths which makes it quite dangerous.

I feel so sad that Shiregreen now seems to be just another sink estate. I lived in Shirehall Rd from a baby 1932 until 1942 when we moved to Hatfield House Lane until 1947. I only have fond memories of those years, most residents were working class , in those days not many owned their own house's. All though most of those years there was a war on , we youngsters were having a great time, I expect those people who lost family, friends & homes did'nt think they were good times, who can blame them.

On my visits back to Shiregreen I was most impressed by the magnificent views you had from the top of Bellhouse Road looking over towards Wentworth you could see Elsecar church and many of the Wentworth follies like keppels column and Hoober stand, in hindsight I realize I took all this for granted when I lived there but a vista like this would have had a very benificial effect on my outlook on life. I guess I was fortunate to have lived in such a beautiful place.

You're bang on there Ted.. I live just on the brow of the hill, and I marvel at the view all the time...In fact on a clear day when i m driving home through ringinglow, you're higher up and can see the same view , and all the wentworth follies, its just such a wonderful site, you really get a feel for the striking geology and geomorphology, the way the Pennine flanks level off to the east, and the hill stacked up like slices of bread .

I have to say I just love reading about Shiregreen in the past. I live in the house my Grandparents lived in from the thirties or forties, right through to the early eighties, when i vistited them at the age of seven. i could write a short book (perhaps I will!) from the stories I have heard. It all really moves me just thinking about it. Me dad was born in 1929, he lived here too. I was just saying to my seven year old how I used to visit here.

Is there any way this old footage can be converted to a file that can be downloaded or seen on a pc I ask

Keep em coming people!

We moved to Deep Lane in 1958 when I was 10 years old. Coming from the slums of Hillsborough it seemed like Hollywood at the time. I lived there until I married in 1971. The place has really gone to the dogs now, but so has a lot of this country :gag:

I was born 1949 and moved to Deep lane when I was about 3 or 4 lived there till I got married in 1969

Does anyone remember The Ravine, the green wedge inbetween Deep lane and Wooley Wood Road, there used to be a stream which we made into a pond by making a dam across it, this green wedge was our playground being football/cricket pitch in Summer and sledging track in Winter, on bonfire nights we had huge fires to which everyone brought chestnuts and jacket potatoes, its all been filled in now and the stream runs in underground pipes.

I remember The Ravine spent many a happy hour playing on the back field as we called it

Do you remember Terry Liquorice who's dad was the signalman at Grange Lane, they lived at the house by the railway crossing. Me and my best mate Andy Sherratt (we both lived on Deep Lane) used to hang around with him sometimes.

I remember Terry Liquorice his dad took use swimming where I was taught to swim and I remember Andy Sherratt I used to hang around with his sister Judy my brother is called Terry

Hi Sue,

How are you these days?

I've sent a PM.

Edited by Urien

yes it's bad people parking on the grass verges and something needs to be done about it in shiregreen, but how can you say homeowners are the worst offenders. prove it! i'm sure there must be good and bad council tenants and the same must be true for homeowners. have you done an extensive survey? do you know who owns every car you've seen parked on the verge? if you haven't you can't back up your claim and hence your views have no statistical basis. please avoid sweeping statements. one thing that is a worry is the speed that some people drive on the narrrow streets.

I have asked Sanctuary and Street Force to do somethimg about ruining the grass verges, but I might as well have been talking to a brick wall, they are not interested.

If everybody that was concerned about the grass verges complained to Sanctuary they might, just might do something about it, give it a try.

Edited by auzilink28
sugestions

Hi Sue,

How are you these days?

I've sent a PM.

I'm fine who am I talking to

I have asked Sanctuary and Street Force to do somethimg about ruining the grass verges, but I might as well have been talking to a brick wall, they are not interested.

If everybody that was concerned about the grass verges complained to Sanctuary they might, just might do something about it, give it a try.

The recent gas works on hartleybrrok road hasn`t helped the matter either. Whe i visit my mother you`re having to dodge all the mud on the paths.