Is Sheffield Bigger Than Manchester?

So Doom, the City of London has a population of 11,000, ergo Sheffield is bigger than London ? Anyone who's lived in both places would realise that you could fit Sheffield into Manchester x 3. Seems to be a bit of male member wagging here, sorry to be crude. I actually think that Manchester is more of a second city than Birmingham. Sheffield is less culturally and ethnically diverse. Manchester can feel threatening violent and intimidating, Sheffield feels much safer. Manchester and Sheffield must be great places to be a a student. The West Yorkshire connurbation with Leeds at the centre feels much bigger than Sheffield and South Yorks
Oh give us a break from these endless comparisons. What harm are we causing by following the official figures which have been telling us for years that Sheffield is the 4th largest city in the country behind Birmingham and Leeds? If you don't agree, fair enough, what does it matter?

Personally, I'd say that if you're young and wanting great nightlife, Manchester or Leeds would be good, because they have, as has been pointed out, larger city centres and are more buzzing. Even if it is always raining in Manchester. ;)

If you want a decent family home, live in Sheffield where we have nicer suburbs, and easier access to the countryside, more greenspace and amenity areas.

Having worked in Manchester for the last couple of years, I would have to say that Manchester is much bigger than Sheffield and unfortunately, for shopping, nightlife, culture etc it is much better.

Sheffield's saving grace is it's location, the people and relative safety for a big city.

Maybe its just the impression I get on this forum, in real life I never hear any of it.

I agree. And if you speak highly of another town or city or a feature of another city its only on this forum you see the childish reply "well if you like it so much, why don't you go and live there". :rolleyes:

1 London 7,172,091

2 Birmingham 970,892

3 Liverpool 469,017

4 Leeds 443,247

5 Sheffield 439,866

6 Bristol 420,556

7 Manchester 394,269 (not Greater Manc.)

8 Leicester 330,574

The order's different. Liverpool has been very heavily depopulated in recent years- hence Sheffield's now fourth, not fifth.

But Leeds is bigger, though (sad to say), although it's far tinier if measured by Sheffield- v- Leeds Forum size!

I agree. And if you speak highly of another town or city or a feature of another city its only on this forum you see the childish reply "well if you like it so much, why don't you go and live there". :rolleyes:

I have seen that used on here quite recently, it is truly pathetic.

Oh give us a break from these endless comparisons. What harm are we causing by following the official figures which have been telling us for years that Sheffield is the 4th largest city in the country behind Birmingham and Leeds? If you don't agree, fair enough, what does it matter?

Personally, I'd say that if you're young and wanting great nightlife, Manchester or Leeds would be good, because they have, as has been pointed out, larger city centres and are more buzzing. Even if it is always raining in Manchester. ;)

If you want a decent family home, live in Sheffield where we have nicer suburbs, and easier access to the countryside, more greenspace and amenity areas.

Spot on! :thumbsup:

Sheffield nightlife died with the burning down of Republic and those heady days of Gatecrasher & the dance scene hit a peak in 2000 and nowt since!

Manchester seems bigger because Salford is cheek by jowl and the border is solely a line on the map , where as Sheffield's borders usually involve green space ( a lot of the southern borders and all the way around the east and North of sheffield or at least a noticeable drop in density of building etc ( eastern and south eastern border)

And also Trafford which is home to Man Utd and the Cricket Ground - it would be like saying Hillsborough, Wadsley Bridge, Parsons Cross and Grenoside weren't in Sheffield (not to mention Stocksbridge, Chapeltown etc out to the North).

Get an idea why Manchester is a regional centre and Sheffield isn't;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Manchester

Rubydazzler, says give us a break from these city comparison threads and then procedes to join in one LOL
Don't scoff at people, child, it's not big and it's not clever. No, it's mainly a lot of us Sheffielders are just sick to the back teeth of people giving us a hard time about where we live. It's like people have a problem with the official figures and want somehow to prove them wrong.

It may BE trite to say, but if you want to live somewhere that's like Leeds or Manchester or Nottingham, stop trying to make Sheffield into something it's not and go and live somewhere you do like. A big difference in Sheffield is the preponderence of manual and unskilled labour and a comparatively low percentage of professional people. Although, personally I feel that's part of what gives our city its unique ambience

When I was young, I found Sheffield a little slow and lacking in certain aspects, so I went to live in Central London for a few years. Then when I settled down and wanted a nice place for a family life, I came back. It's quite easy, but you do have to leave your mummy and daddy and learn to be independent.